Scripture readings 1928 BCP and today

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by KateOG, Jul 30, 2014.

1. KateOG

KateOG New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Hello all, I just received my 1928 BCP yesterday and was thumbing through it...last Sunday, I attended a different Anglican church that was a bit of a drive from my home, but they used nearly word for word readings from the 1928 BCP, and included the page numbers in the handout they provided. Very helpful!

Since it was the Sixth Sunday after Trinity, the Old Testament listed in the handout was Gen. 29:15-28, the Epistle was Romans 8:26-39, and the Gospel was Matthew 13: 31-33, 44-52.

However, on page 197 of the 1928 BCP, it lists a different reading from Romans and Matthew, and on pages xxvii and xxix, the Psalms and Lessons for the Christian Year.

Am I misreading the readings for the Scripture in the 1928 BCP? Was it changed? I had an old Roman Catholic Missal and at first glance, the readings for the RC Missal and the handout that was provided last Sunday matched, more or less.

For those of us who like to read the suggested readings and Psalms each day, is there a revised lectionary from what's listed in the BCP?

I am sure it's because I don't have a lot of experience in reading the BCP and because I'm new to understanding Anglicanism in general, that's leading to my confusion.

Thanks so much in advance, and God bless!
    Kate

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Hello Kate,

I am sure that one of the other posters can give you a more definitive answer, but I have a question; the parish that you attended, did they use the 1928 prayer book as well? There are many versions of the prayer book in use besides the venerable 1928.

3. KateOG

KateOG New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Hi Peteprint--yes, they used the 1928 prayer book as well, but I did figure it out yesterday by looking at an online version of the current BCP--there was a Revised Standard Lectionary in use as of several years ago. Because I don't have mobile or some kind of tablet computing available to me, I am going to acquire a 1979 BCP in order to get the Lectionary, as the online version was good, but not portable as far as I'm concerned (I prefer proper books to electronic ones...)