School choice for teenagers; a right to vote for?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by strelitziaflower, Jan 15, 2022.

1. strelitziaflower

strelitziaflower Member

Prefer not to say
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I am advocate of school choice as an alternative to public schools, where teens may get bullied for their beliefs.

In my HO, I think that I would vote for a centre-right party that secures and “galvanises into action” government to allow for private school attendance AS WELL as HOMESCHOOL .

I really think that wearing uniforms are attractive and enforce discipline.

Please vote wisely (not everyone should be voting).

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I favor school choice as well.

We in the US pay taxes that finance the public school system, but private schools tend to provide a better education; a voucher system would allow citizens to move that money and their children to a private school, which would (in the long run) cause the public school to either improve or close. The danger would lie in the government's inevitable attempt to "kick God out of the private schools" (as they have done with the public schools) on the grounds that the private schools have received public dollars and have therefore become the new 'public' schools and are subject to the "separation of church and state."

Homeschooling is the best way to go, provided that the parent(s) must be committed to the project and reasonably capable of performing the task. Some parents honestly have no idea how to raise a child effectively (and such parents are unlikely to even be able to make an educated school choice, sadly).

Incidentally, I was talking to an elementary school principal in our metro area last week. Her school is in a poorer neighborhood with a large Hispanic population. She said 75% of her students' parents speak little or no English and have no internet; they don't even know how to create an email address for themselves. It is more than 650 miles (not very close!) to the nearest border point of Mexico.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    strelitziaflower likes this.
  3. strelitziaflower

strelitziaflower Member

Prefer not to say
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Rexlion likes this.