Saint Paul's Cathedral!

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Stalwart, May 21, 2021.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It takes my breath away, every time I see it.

Saint-Pauls-Cathedral-Wallpapers.jpg

Ananias and Invictus like this.
  2. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have never stayed in London, only passed through it or attended meetings there for a day. I have never visited St. Paul's Cathedral. I would certainly like to as my mother has, and she was very impressed. I once had time to pop into Westminster Abbey but declined to pay the exorbitant entrance fee they wanted.

I wonder who those men are in the photograph who look like cardinals in everyday choir dress.

Stalwart likes this.
  3. Legion

Legion Member

St Paul's is wonderful and also a far better view of London from the top of the Dome than from the ferris wheel, if slightly more difficult to reach.

Best way to see any Cathedral that charges is to go to a service, but be prepared to be ushered out unceremoniously afterwards (I'm looking at you, Westminster Abbey!), except at Canterbury Cathedral; they are very courteous. I went to an 8am mass at Canters once and the vergers let me wander the crypt afterwards, even though the Cathedral wasn't open until 9. Much appreciated.

Westminster Cathedral (RC) doesn't charge.

4. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    The best cathedral I have visited with regards to these things is Ripon. I like the town itself and the entire area. We had a friend in the area who has sadly died so we no longer get there as often as we once did. Ripon Cathedral did not charge an entry fee. Someone always greeted us but never mentioned money and no one ever pestered us for money. It is not the most outstanding of cathedrals architecturally but we liked it as we could go in for free and were able to look round without ever being pestered by anybody.

I know of only one C of E cathedral besides Ripon that does not charge an entry fee. There may, of course, be others. As far as I am aware no Roman Catholic cathedral in England charges. I wish ours did not.

Legion likes this.
  5. Legion

Legion Member

I think St Albans is still voluntary, and Leicester, and I am not sure about Durham. It is so long since I visited either!

6. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    No Durham isn't free any more. There was a charge when we went. I paid because I have always wanted to visit it. The worst for me was Chester where we queued up to pay like we were entering a theme park!:disgust:

7. Legion

Legion Member

Cuthbert would not be pleased! :(

8. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's a great idea for next time I'm in Great Britain. I didn't know that the commonfolk were allowed into the Dome!

Legion likes this.
  9. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

Saint Paul's also plays a role here.

10. Legion

Legion Member

Yes, you can climb either to the Whispering Gallery, or else right to the top of the dome. It's a great view! I think there is a charge but it is worth it.

Stalwart likes this.
  11. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Is that the only way up? I do not believe I could make the climb. I wonder if anyone has complained about the restriction this has on disabled people.

12. Legion

Legion Member

I'm afraid so. There is disabled access to the Cathedral itself, and to the Crypt below, but I am not sure if it covers the dome.

13. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I wonder if they'd let me fly a drone up there:D Although it still wouldn't be a first-hand experience.