Religious Accomodation

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Lowly Layman, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Question to the group: I have a new job and was told I needed to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption. I was wondering if anyone here has made a request for exemption for religious objections? If so, what was the experience like? Feel free to DM me if you are uncomfortable speaking about it publicly. Thanks so much and God bless.

2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    What would the ‘religious objection’ be? There’s nothing that says you can’t or shouldn’t receive a vaccination. And there are plenty of reasons why you should.

Annie Grace likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The "experience" probably depends on the employer and how they handle things. That's my guess. (I'm self employed.)

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Firstly, let me say it depends on the jurisdiction you are in, as to what is acceptable and what is not.

I am also deeply conscious that not all vaccinations are the same. Many of my Orthodox friends will not touch an mRNA vaccine on the grounds of an argument that they represent the 'fruit of the poison tree'. I understand that argument, and thankfully here we have choices, and I can choose which type of vaccine I will or won't have.

That being said, I personally have not been an anti-vax person, and in due course, I will line up for my 5th jab. I see it as a loving approach to members of my community, and my Church community, that I minimise my chance of causing them harm, be it unintentionally. Nonetheless, I respect each person's right to make the decision that they need to make for themselves.

Lowly Layman and Annie Grace like this.
  5. Lowly Layman

I don't object to all vaccines, only those connected with abortion. Unfortunately, all Covid vaccines available in the US fall into that category.

Invictus likes this.
  6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA

What does this mean"e 'fruit of the poison tree'"

7. Lowly Layman

As I know it, it's a legal idiom referring to the inadmissibilty of illegally obtained evidence in court. The logic is that if the source (the "tree") of the evidence or evidence itself is tainted, then anything gained (the "fruit") from it is tainted as well. That's how it's used in the US.

I think the point is that if an act is morally evil, such as abortion; then anything resulting from it is tainted with the same moral corruption. I agree with that conclusion and it's the main problem I have with the vaccines.

Think of St. Matthew 7:17-20:

"Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Thus by their fruits you will know them."

Botolph likes this.
  8. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think that the origins of the idea come from law enforcement. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_of_the_poisonous_tree.

For my Orthodox friends, the matter revolves around the matter that the development of the mRNA vaccines was conducted using material from aborted children. On this basis, they discard the whole technology as being tainted, even though the matter in the vaccine delivered to your arm contains no such matter, as this is not used in the production of the vaccine.

The Mayo Clinic Article may help. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...erent-types-of-covid-19-vaccines/art-20506465

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I understand and respect that position.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  10. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
  11. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I wonder if a workplace requires vaccination and you get an adverse reaction form a vaccine you got to meet this requirement would that workplace be liable for that?

12. Lowly Layman

From my research, all vaccines currently available in the US are connected to abortion derived fetal cell lines, either in development, manufacture, or confirmation (testing).

13. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I thought that was specifically not true of the Novavax vaccine. It is available here, and I would have thought it was on the table in the USA. My knowledge is a bit limited on that.

14. Lowly Layman

Novavax claims it has not utilized fetal cell lines but third party public health researchers have disputed that and Novavax refuses to provide evidence of the cell lines it used. In my mind that makes Novavax morally suspect at best and should be avoided.

15. Fergus

Fergus New Member

Ulster
    Religion:
    Nomadic Presbyterian
    I believe if you wish to resist it, then finding an excuse that isn't directly that it's against your will probably won't work.

If you stand your ground, without appearing to negotiable on the matter, perhaps they'll over look it.

If not, one ask to ask themselves - do you want the job more than the sanctity of your own body? Not that this is an easy choice, but this is all we have.