Recent ecumenism with Rome?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Spherelink, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    What does everyone think about the recent extremely fraternal relations between the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishop of Rome? I can't help but think that both have a radical liberal theology which is not in touch with either of their authentic traditions. So where does that leave all of us who strive to be faithful?

Andy likes this.
  2. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Marginalized is the first word that springs to mind.

Andy likes this.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Obviously both are fellow travelers down the slope of liberalism

4. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Both seem to have lost touch with reality.

Aidan likes this.
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

I know that there are lots of things I like about being Anglican. The odd balance we have between top down and bottom up, balance of dignity and awe in our liturgy understood by all the people, the importance we give to scholarship ensuring that there is always room for the simple, the witness to the scriptures and the creeds as relevant documents, our commitment to Christ and the service of his people.

Constantine was proclaimed Caesar in York, some 300 years before Gregory sent Augustine to bring the gospel to England, though reading Bede might make you think there was more to that. Pope Alexander the 2nd authorised the Norman conquest of England, and the Bayeux Tapestry tells us the Pope's Banners were carried to battle. Henry VIII, whose father was the last the seize the crown as right of conquest, had his troubles, which led to the severing of ties with Rome.

Probably what I am saying is that Rome and Canterbury have history, yet both the current incumbents seem prepared to lead us in paths that bring us closer together. Yet I am not sure what sending our 19 pairs of Bishops is really all about, except as a marker, and as a commitment to understand each other better.

I don't think we do ourselves or the gospel any great favours by declaring two of the most senior clerics on the planet as liberals, and in reality I am not sure that either of them is truly a liberal, however I am sure there are others who have more information on that than I. I do know this however, that the night before he gave up his life for us, Jesus prayed that we may all be one. And the question must be asked, is this earnest desire for unity part of our authentic vocation and tradition. I don't think it is easy, and I don't want to be simplistic, yet equally I don't want to give up on this vision as we express it in the Nicene Creed, week by week.

And here is no great matter, I have seen the eternal footman hold my coat, and snicker.

Quotes from The Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock by TS Elliot

Christina and Madeline like this.
  6. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I guess Br Phillip we are struggling to grasp the whole point of these talks (let alone that Diocesan monies are spent on travelling costs, pursuing what we perceive as waste). Within the South African context, I know for a fact that there is no interest in uniting with Rome. We know where Rome stands, yet our leaders are all over the media expressing how pained they are about the church's vote on same sex marriage blessings. We are set on innovating, yet insist that we want to be united with the rest of ancient Christendom. That is why I feel we have lost touch with reality.

Aidan and Botolph like this.
  7. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
  8. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    This man, David Pratte, styles himself as a non- denominational preacher. Therefore "neither fish nor fowl "

10. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I guess some of this depends in part on how we understand the essentials. I suspect this writer is not a fan of the Nicene Creed, the Historic Episcopate, and the three sacred orders of ministry, which in some for all the traditional mainstream episcopally overseen churches would.

Aidan and Christina like this.
  11. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm listening to Anglican TV Ministries right now. I've learned that none of the GAFCON primates were invited to Canterbury, but rather the liberals and gay rights' activists bishops, so I've got to agree with Spherelink...there's radical liberal theology going on here.

I thought the TEC is not supposed to be invited in these gatherings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyxiE-jcSk

Andy likes this.