Questions about Anglo Catholic

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Geer, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anyone ever attended an Anglo Catholic Mass? what's the Difference between the Anglo Catholic Mass and the tridentine Mass?
    are they still theologically reformed? what's their view on Papacy?

2. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I myself am an Anglo Catholic, and am in a very Anglo Catholic parish. There isn't really a universal standard for Anglo-Catholicism, simply because nothing in Anglicanism nowadays really has a universal standard! You'll get some Anglo-Catholic parishes with women priests in them, some that use the English Missal, some that use the Roman Missal, etc. Having said that, in my experience (and it's what my church uses), most seem to use the "Norvus Ordo", the exact same as the Romans do. You'll see birettas, prayers for the dead, hail Mary's, and all else Roman. Many seem to be more Roman than the Roman churches themselves! The Tractarians never envisaged this however, at least in my opinion. Anglo-Catholicism back then was much more concerned with interpreting Anglicanism in a catholic manner, much unlike the total disregard for Anglican theology we see today. It's a terrible shame really. Much good liturgy has been produced with the specific intent of being faithful to Anglican orthodoxy, whilst having a catholic "spin" (It's much more than a "spin" of course, being a matter of fairly fundamental theology, but I couldn't think how else to phrase it!).

So in short, if you happen to stumble upon an Anglo-Catholic Mass, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between that and your average Roman Catholic Mass.

Geer likes this.
  3. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
  4. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As to the papacy, once again things aren't as simple as they might seem. You'll see many Anglo-Catholics who subscribe to the idea of papal infallibility, etc. In fact, I'm fairly certain my parish priest does (not a criticism of his person, I couldn't ask for a better priest)! On the other hand, you'll see those who take the usual Anglican view of the papacy, so there isn't really a binding answer I'm afraid. It's something I struggle with myself - I'm certainly not decided on the matter, but I can't just remain in this limbo forever! I think one should really go all in for Rome, or all in for Canterbury. As it stands, I'm currently floating along in the middle of the Tiber somewhere!

Geer likes this.
  5. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting, I would like to ask last question, do you personally pray the rosary ?

6. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    and also could you tell me your parish's name please

7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Well, that's one way to be (in effect) a married Roman Catholic priest.... simply be Anglo-Catholic. Sheesh.

8. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I know, it's a very strange situation. In England at least, what I have described certainly seems to be the norm amongst Anglo-Catholics. One only has to pilgrim to Walsingham to see.

9. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    St Gabriel's, Walsall. It's a modern church (built 1939) in the Church of England. Nothing all too interesting about it.

10. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I pray the Rosary yes. We have a weekly Rosary at Church where a few of us say it together. I don't pray it all too often, but occasionally I find it helpful to concentrate on my prayer, and I don't have too much of an issue with the Mariology behind it.