Pope says OK to be gay?

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Lowly Layman, May 21, 2018.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

CuriousBeliever likes this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Ofcourse it's ok to be gay just as its its ok to be heterosexual , but sex outside of marriage remains a sin therefore those unmarried must remain celibate.

3. Lowly Layman

Do you think that's what Francis meant?

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Well, it would be the Christian approach and, radical though he is, I doubt that he would say anything that would appear to support pseudo marriage

5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The challenge for the church, for the Pope, and for each one of us, is to understand the teaching of the Scriptures, and to understand the needs of real human beings, imperfect (yes), flawed (yes), in need of redemption (yes), but undoubtedly each one of us and them truly and uniquely loved by God.

It seems the problem with the current holder of the office of the keys is that there are a number of people inside the Church who want him to be more concerned with the magisterium and the integrity of the doctrinal office, and less concerned with individuals. Yet it is this same character that has meant that he has become one of the most popular popes in recent history, because ordinary folk get him.

We also need to recognise that the media will love to misreport him, and suggest that he was saying more than he did. It seems to me that Pope Francis is more concerned about who he can bring to God than he is with those he can keep out of the kingdom. I am sure that Faith and Order will pull him up at any opportunity they get, and I am sure he sails close to the line, but it is what it is.

As an Anglican I am merely an observer in the broken world, yet I would imagine he receives broad support across the catholic world.

6. Lowly Layman