PDD off limits?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Lowly Layman, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Are public displays of devotion (PDD) off-limits? Recently, back-up Quarterback Tim Tebow was released from the Jets and may be out of the NFL completely. Over his football career in high school, college, and in the NFL, he has been a popular, albeit controversial player, more often for his overtly Christian faith and biography than for his actual playing. Many people thought his public prayers, traditional values, and open faith were inappropriate and bad for the game. Is it not ok for people to show their faith in public? Does fame require one to dial down his or her Christian witness in society? Should we confine our enthusiasm for Jesus in church only, or are we called to take Christ with us into our chosen professions?

[Sinc I know that American football is regional, here is some back story for those who are not familiar what I'm talking about: The son of evangelical missionaries, Tebow was born in the Phillipines, his mother was told by doctors that, due to a severe placental abruption, she should abort the baby. Citing her faith in God's providence, she refused and gave birth to the future QB. As a boy, he was home-schooled but thanks to FL law, he was able to play sports with the public school. Because of his spectacular success, many other states passed similar measures, often referred to unofficially as Tim Tebow Laws. In college, he made history as one of the most decorated players ever. But more than that his display of Christian faith and morals started a wave of volunteerism at the University of Florida, he made it cool to do work for charity. He frequently visited hospitals and prisons. It was in college that his iconic practice of kneeling in prayer prior to and following games made headlines. He was also famous for wearing bible verse citations on his eyeblack during games. The practice caused those bible verses to trend on the internet as millions searched to find out the meaning of the citations. The NCAA quietly banned religious symbols on eyeblack after Tebow graduated. He also made a habit of inviting sick or disabled kids to games, where they got to watch on the field. During his senior year, Focus on the Family made a commercial that ran during the Super Bowl half time of his story in a way that many considered to be pushing a pro-life agenda. At a presser, he caused huge commotion when he answered yes when asked if he was still a virgin, and said that he would stay so until marriage. Despite all his success in college, people said he shouldn't play QB professionally due to his poor throwing motion.

When he was drafted into the NFL, many expressed concern and outright hostility for his overtly Christian lifestyle. Nevertheless, he continued to express his faith in Jesus Christ. He started a charity and volunteer organization called Team Tebow, which encourages his fans to go out and volunteer. When he was told he could no longer wear bible verses on his eyeblack, he began the practice of tweeting out bible verses prior to his games. With his earnings, he built a children's hospital in the Philippines providing free healthcare in one of the poorest regions of the world. He also built toy rooms in a number of hospitals in the US for sick children. He also started a charity where terminally ill and chronicly disabled children got to go to the NFL games he played at. He led his Broncos team to a series of improbable come from behind victories, that took one of the worst performing teams in the league to the play-offs. During that time, there was significant controversy of the fact that the GM for the team refused to name him as the starting QB over the struggling starter. Some said it was for his weaknesses as a QB, others said it was to avoid the circus Tebow's faith seemed to bring. At one point he was considered the most popular sports figure in America. His practice of kneeling in prayer went viral as "Tebowing" became even more popular than planking. After that season he was traded to another team, the Jets, where he played back up to another struggling QB but was never allowed to start and rarely was allowed on the field as QB. Now, he has been released from his contract with that team in a way that is leaving many questioning both the timing and the reasons why. Should he not get picked up by another team, his career in the NFL will be over after just 3 years. ]

Couple videos to help understand the text above:
    Halftime Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqReTDJSdhE
    Praying on the Field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snjw2ENkix0

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Another example, comes to mind. In his first address to the US following the 9-11 bombings, President Bush quoted the 23d Psalm as part of his speech. A number of people praised him for such a powerful and heartfelt message. However, there was also considerable amount of backlash for the message being too Christian. As for me, I found it cathartic. Was he out of line for his use of scripture?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiqEUBux3o
    His religious statements begin around 3:30 minutes in.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This is an interesting topic. There seems to be more public, vocal opposition to it than ever before. And it is weird to me that many people who feign offense to it are completely open to increasingly bizarre touchdown dances (scripted dances, multi-person celebrations, use of hidden props, etc.). These things take much longer and are much more self-centered.

Here's my take. I like it when athletes are open about their Christian faith. These kinds of activities during games should be done in moderation, but they always are as far as I know. And plenty of other players kneel, cross themselves, or express their thanks to God when they score/after the game (Troy Polamalu and Jeremy Lin come to mind, along with countless others). Tim Tebow, for some reason, receives far more attention and criticism for doing what so many others do. Is he more outspoken than some in interviews? Maybe. Who sets up the interviews? The media. Who then spins him as a controversial figure? The same media.

It's lame. They created a controversy where none existed, just to cash in on his fame.

As far as politicians go, I always feel somewhat uncomfortable when they start pulling Scripture out of context or engaging in theological blunders. :D But at least we have Presidents who acknowledge the presence and power of God. I'm more torn on that issue than I am on the athletic side, because I don't like the brazen use of religious terminology for political gain. But there's certainly nothing wrong with quoting psalms or saying "God bless America" [insert correct equivalency here for our non-USA brothers and sisters :D].

feverforever and Lowly Layman like this.
  4. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    If Tim Tebow threw a football like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, he would still be in the NFL regardless of his faith.