Our Lord's Remains?

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Aidan, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Humour me please. If human remains were found to be those of Jesus, absolutely confirmed, would you still be Christian or not and why?

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

That would never happen. Why even consider it?

3. Lowly Layman

1 Corinthians 15:14-19

"And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith isvain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I wold argue that of course not

Our religion is falsifiable, which is one of it's strongest proofs, that it is not some mad fancy

As @Lowly Layman quotes from St. Paul, if the Lord has not resurrected and Ascended, that invalidates the religion, whereas Islam has no rational basis and no clear reason for why anyone should accept it (other than fearing for their lives, that is)

Anglican04, Jenkins and Mark like this.
  5. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    I'm remembering a story I read awhile ago. A man was asked by a Jewish rabbi, "If Jesus had not really risen from the dead, would you remain a Christian?" The man responded, "No, I would not". The rabbi was surprised because, every other Christian he had asked had answered "yes". They answered so because they wouldn't want to change their routine, or they liked the community they had been a part of for so long, among other reasons. I guess this all just ties back into what St. Paul said (and I paraphrase): "If Christ has not risen, your faith is in vain".

Anglican04 likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

I remember an interview with "bishop" Gene Robinson once. Where he was asked if he believed in the resurrection, virgin birth, miracles, etc. He said he did.I was heartened by his response. Then he took a breath and said he'd believe them even if they weren't true...

So close and yet so far....
    :doh:

JoeLaughon, Anglican04, Aidan and 2 others like this.
  7. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Our Chritian beliefs are based on the death and resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ. The selfless act of the Redeemer of man and His victory over death is what gives us the strength to live a life of faith, hope and charity.

Anglican04 likes this.
  8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Our Lord's remains:
    1. The Blessed Sacrament
    2. The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church

9. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    As funny as it sounds, the answer to whether the Word would have any validity if the remains of Christ were found, is similar to what is taught by the Christian Science cult. Mary Baker Eddy made the suggestion that the bible had errors, but that it was irrelevant to experiencing miracles through the teachings of Christ. The scriptures were manifested into the world in their current form by the "Divine Mind", and that they need not to have evidence externally or had to ever happen in order for the reader to experience an effect from reading them. This would falsify nearly every Christian sect historically, but yet the fact that miracles have happened in them under the influence of the scriptures and belief in it is still a reality that would have to be acknowledged. Other religions claim to have 'miracles' but the most miracles occur within the Christian spectrum. I don't subscribe to Christian Science as it's a blatantly heretical sect, but I understand the logic behind it. Basically, they teach the power of mind-over-matter in that infamously Gnostic sense, but the most effective form of it comes from what is experienced and given to one who reads and applies the scriptures. It would assume that the realities within scripture and the ones we'd say were historically 'real' are separate realities, but the miracles caused by Christian belief would suggest that there was a spiritual origin behind them, even if the historical evidence was non-existent. A funny, but interesting idea to contemplate.

PotterMcKinney likes this.
  10. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    If this were to somehow be verified (lol), then I would probably become some species of Deist.