Orthodox here

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Moses, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Moses

Moses Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    I belong to the Orthodox Church in America, and have no plans to change this. But I've become very appreciative of Anglicanism, primarily due to the BCP daily office, the KJV, and the numerous Anglican translations of patristic texts into English.

In recent years, I have begun to learn more of the history of Anglicanism. In the process I've read St. Bede's History of the English Church and People, the Tracts for the Times, the Eikon Basilike by King Charles the Martyr, and Fr. Douglas Bess' Divided We Stand. I'm also working my way through Hooker's Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity, though slowly and in small chunks.

I'm here to learn more about Anglicanism, and I hope for eventual reconciliation between the continuing Anglican Churches and the Orthodox, that we may "hold the faith in unity of spirit, in the bond of peace, and in righteousness of life," as the prayer book puts it.

God bless you all, and thanks for having me here.

Dave Kemp, Lowly Layman and Stalwart like this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    :signwelcome: Glad you are here. This site has many reproduced resources, and the site forum contains quite a few informative discussions. Plus we are happy to answer questions!

It's hard to say whether the churches will officially reconcile, but in the meantime we are united in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, as members of His body on earth.

3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome, my friend and brother from the East. Anglican is a way of being Christian, as is Eastern. Hooker is poorly understood by many contemporary Anglicans, yet is has much to offer. He is a Divine who I suspect is invoked more often than he is read. As Anglicans, I believe we owe a great deal to the East for the origins of our tradition, stemming back to the period before the Augustinian Mission. As you have read Bede you have no doubt reflected on that already.

Shane R likes this.
  4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Welcome.I much admire the East. Glad you are here

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome!

Bess' book is a double edged sword. There have been scant few authors who have undertaken written histories of the Continuing churches. But it is fairly clear Bess had a deep disdain for James Parker Dees and Anthony Clavier.

6. Moses

Moses Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Thanks for the warm welcomes!

The part I found most interesting was that he portrayed everything as basically a struggle between those who wanted to be pretty much Roman Catholic, and those who pretty much wanted to be congregationalist Evangelicals. As if no one thought to look back to Hooker or the Caroline divines. I'm definitely curious how accurate that portrayal was.

Shane R likes this.
  7. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    This has been one of the mysteries for me, as I was discovering Anglicanism... It does not seem that some of its modern adherents give full recognition to the riches and depths within their tradition