On the Universal Customs of the Universal Church

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by J_Jeanniton, Jun 19, 2021.

?

Does the Church of England have the right to abolish the universal customs of the universal church?

1. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not unless the customs are repugnant to God's word written

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, provided that the customs are essentials of divinely revealed doctrine

100.0%
  4. Yes in all cases whatever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In the Nicene Creed of 1549 -1661/2 an d 2019 we said/say

1549 | And I beleve one Catholike and Apostolike Churche.
    1552 | And I believe one Catholick and Apostolick Church.
    2019 | We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.​

Whereas the creed of the 1st Council of Constantinople reads

Greek: Εἰς μίαν, Ἁγίαν, Καθολικὴν καὶ Ἀποστολικὴν Ἐκκλησίαν
    English: In one holy catholic and apostolic Church;​

The 2nd note of the Church is 'holy', and whilst it is clear that Cranmer had an aversion to its use in describing the Church, and one of the 1st book of homilies expresses the general aversion. None the less it did survive in the Apostles Creed, but was not preserved in the Nicene Creed. We seem very short of reasons why that happened, especially given the aspirational goal of getting closer to the primitive Church.

2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Oh I see what you’re saying now. Thank you for taking the time to clarify. That helps a lot. Ok, I had actually forgotten that the 1662 omitted the word “Holy” from the Creed in the Communion Rite. (In a sudden fit of naivete, I seriously wondered if this was a misprint.) My preference is simply to use the English language equivalent of the traditional Latin form of the Creed, since that is what has been used in the West for the last 1,000 years, i.e., including “God from God”, “and the Son”, “Holy”, etc., or, only in the event that proves to be absolutely unfeasible, to omit the Creed from the Communion Rite entirely, in accordance with earlier tradition, which knew of no Creed in the liturgy at all except for cases of Baptism.