"On January 13, read... what?"

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by DadHocHypothesis, Feb 23, 2022.

1. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Relevant document: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1928/Lectionary_1945.pdf

At the bottom of page 4, the First Lesson for the Sunday in the Epiphany Octave is Isaiah 60:1-9. An additional direction at the bottom of the page says "On January 13, read Isa. 60:10."

Does that mean to include verse 10 at the end of the reading, or does it mean to read from verse 10 to the end of the chapter? The notation for the "verse x to the end"-type readings in the tables makes it ambiguous.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes. When a single number is given that is the starting point but the intention is for the remainder of the chapter to be read.

3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I cannot look. My web browser won't allow me to download the file. It tells me it poses a security risk.

I agree with what Fr. Shane R said. It would be more helpful if it read, 'Isa. 60.10 ff. The abbreviation ff means and the following [verses], and means until the end of the chapter. Both what you read and the example I give mean Isa. 60.10-22, verse 22 being the final verse of chapter 60.