No secular activity allowed in chapel?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by anonymousfranciscan, Oct 16, 2014.

1. anonymousfranciscan

anonymousfranciscan New Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Am writing to request your knowledge and opinions on the subject of respectful, secular activity in our Anglican chapel. Not in the sanctuary itself, but at the front of the church, with an audience in the pews. The vestry recently voted to allow a children's history (presented by the children who will each impersonate their historical character) presentation to happen in our chapel.
    I myself feel fine with the respectful use of the space, as is the majority of the vestry. We are a tiny congregation who wish to remain friendly with the excellent private school we share our historic grounds with, and as they have no performance space, they inquired and we responded positively, especially as our rector recently approved the request of a local historian to present in the chapel about the history of our local buildings and grounds, which originally belonged to a Roman Catholic order.
    Our rector, however, feels that the children's presentation is a desecration.
    I do realize there are two issues here, one being that of 'acting' or 'theater' in church, and the other being that of the sanctity of the space and how to treat it. Whether or not indeed this is a desecration.
    Will someone please respond? Blessings!

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What does your Bishop ordinary say? That is where you'd want to go with your query, I imagine.

3. anonymousfranciscan

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican
    thank you for replying. we did inquire to him, and his response was that our canons state that the vestry does control the use of the chapel as well as the other buildings.

4. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    1 There is a long history in the Western Church of churches being used for all kinds of non-religious events and occasions, they being the only indoor communal space for many settlements. In England, and I should imagine in the US too, churches are frequently used for such things as concerts, and not only for sacred music. Many people think that encouraging the community into the building is good for churchgoers and non-churchgoers alike.

2 But if the rector thinks it is a desecration, would it not be best to avoid a serious rift between him and the vestry? Of course, he'd have to explain it to the school!

5. anonymousfranciscan

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican
    thank you very much for your response. our bishop did indeed encourage us to move forward with the plan, and we have decided to do so in the face of our rector's disapproval, while keeping the area in the sanctuary respectfully apart and out of the event.
    our ever-shrinking congregation has not been served by our rector's authoritarian desire to draw such strict lines between those he calls 'unbelievers' and ourselves. again, thank you for your response!

6. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That is not exactly right, as it is liberal and apostate churches who do that. The rector here has a serious and valid point. This matter is best suited for the bishop and the rector to decide, would be my 2 cents.

7. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I can remember being in church with about 8 other kids when I was about 13 years old for confirmation classes. We were waiting for the Vicar to turn up, we were misbehaving "slightly" by throwing screwed up paper balls at each other. The vicar came in and told us off for missbehaving in "gods house". I remember thinking at the time surely God would be happy with his children having harmless fun in his house. Maybe some people just need to lighten up somewhat.

8. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Well, it is exactly right. In the Middle Ages all kinds of events took place in the parish church. It was the reformation that started getting snooty about it: a snootiness that eventually led to the erection of parish halls and village halls and the church being left unvisited for much of the time. I think, like AnglicanAgnostic, that the rector needs to lighten up a little, but nonetheless my 2 cents would be much like yours.

9. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    Our Rector spoke on this just recently. If I understood him correctly, the Chancel and Altar are dedicated to God and is not a place for secular activities. The Naïve, on the other hand, is for the people. He mentioned that in small communities some Church's had a curtain that would be closed to conceal the Chancel and the people could then use the Naïve for meetings and other activities.

MWDavis likes this.
  10. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Our parish consists of 3 churches, with the main church having a proper chapel and other extra building and a hall which is used for secular activities and other church gatherings that are not the service itself. Our rector also does not allow secular activities in the chapel.

the other 2 smaller churches only consist of one building which is used as a hall as well (even rented out for things like karate classes etc). I notice that the altar is always stripped during the week. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the fact that the building is used for other thing as well. The curtain makes much sense though.

I don't believe in a church building to be just another building either.

11. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Clearly there are a variety of positions that can be taken here. Church buildings and sacred spaces are set aside to the praise an glory of God in Christ Jesus. They become places to pray, reflect, gather or centre, and they become places where we allow the nurturing spirit of God to speak. Many of the English Cathedrals clearly struggle with the secular history tour and the need to keep alive the proclamation of the essence of spirituality. The Cathedral in Newcastle (NSW) has a nave altar on a platform that can raise or lower as required, specifically designed for those times when the Cathedral is used for other purposes. My parish church hosts the odd musical recital - not specifically ecclesiastical.

The incarnation speaks of God's involvement and connection with the world. That the church building is a place to go for some other event may well make it easier for someone not connected with the church to start t establish a connection. I think there is a sense in when we are called to sanctify the secular, not to secularise the sacred. Covering everything up, and hiding the holy things may be counter productive for a group of people who want to declare and reveal the love God has for everyone.

The Churches tasks boil down to Worship, Mission, Teaching, Pastoral Care, and Community. If we can see a 'secular' activity fitting within this general framework, then perhaps we can think of how to make it work for you. For example you might produce a small history leaflet which includes an invitation and details about when you worship and an assurance of welcome, and perhaps a small prayer or spiritually encouraging sentence.

I am sure I noticed a shudder on the face of one of the Canons of Westminster as he ascended the pulpit to call for a moment of prayer from the surging stream of tourists - and the struggle they have on a Sunday morning filtering tourists from worshippers.

12. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Very well said.

13. halleluia

halleluia Member

What do we need to do in the church which we could not do outside?....