News article- "Francis Urges ‘Visible Unity’ With Anglicans"

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by anglican74, May 31, 2022.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Yikes...

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/francis-calls-for-full-unity-with-anglicans
    The pontiff told members of the Anglican–Roman Catholic International Commission on Friday that "visible unity between us" was the goal Jesus "desires and indicates to us," and such unity "is a unity to be welcomed with humility" and "as a grace of the Spirit."

"Ecumenical dialogue is a journey. It is much more than talking together. No, it is doing, doing, not just talking," Francis exhorted. "The road to unity is superior to conflict."

2022-05-16-Francis-Welby.jpg

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Interesting. That's the RCC and the Anglican Communion. A marriage made.... well, not in heaven, but... :laugh:

But the Anglican Communion insists GAFCON, the ACNA, etc. are not part of the Anglican Communion. So I guess it's their problem? :)

3. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    ACNA and GAFCON are forging their own course, and there's not much concern at this point for what Canterbury insists upon. As to the Anglo-Catholics who remained behind -- I suspect the orthodox will end up swimming the Tiber, as so many have already done. Why eat half a loaf, so to speak, when you can eat the whole meal?

4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would love to have better relations with Rome. I see no problem there. I am not goiing to become Roman but better relations with them is not a bad thing.

ZachT and Clayton like this.
  5. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Rome is modernist, so getting closer with them is a sure road to modernism, no?

Rexlion likes this.
  6. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I said better relations. I want better relations with all Christian groups from Baptist to Catholics. I see nothing wrong or harmful in that.

ZachT and Clayton like this.
  7. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    How about Mormons?

8. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I don't think the article is calling simply for better relations... I mean how much better can they be than at present where a commission from Canterbury is meeting with Vatican officials about 'visible unity'... So I think we're there in terms of relations

What I'm saying is that that visible unity would be incredibly detrimental to us

bwallac2335 likes this.
  9. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Mormons are not Christians

Bert Gallagher likes this.
  10. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Yes visible unity would mean that one group has to change. The only thing I would really like to do is for Rome to recognize our orders

11. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Right, the LDS church is a cult because it does not teach the correct way of salvation, which is by God's unearnable gift of grace through faith in Christ, not by works. Right?

Well, the RCC teaches salvation by grace + works + RC sacraments + penance. What does that make the RCC?

Granted, the RCC teaches trinitarianism, but that by itself does not guarantee orthodoxy in all other matters.

To add to their error, the RCC has traditionally used coercive pressure to keep its members from leaving; for centuries they threatened the laity that they'd surely be damned forever if they left for some other church (and failed to return in repentance). Of course they are playing nice and not saying this since Vatican II, but a leopard can't change its spots; given the chance to return to their former political/religious dominance, they'd return to that terrible teaching because their doctrines "never change".

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  12. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    That depends on one’s definition. They certainly self-identify as Christians. They’re a product of the Second Great Awakening. They claim to follow the teachings of Jesus. They believe in the Atonement, and the Resurrection. They believe in the Old and New Testaments. They practice baptism. They deviate from “orthodoxy” on a number of important points, but so have other Christian groups throughout history.

13. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    "Insofar as they are translated correctly," which is understood by Mormons to mean that the OT and NT are not reliable. The mostly rely on the writings Joseph Smith concocted.

Such as, they believe God was once a man like us (eons ago) who evolved into God, and they believe they will become Gods like him if they go through temple ordinances, tithe faithfully, etc. (a works-based salvation). They believe Lucifer and Jesus are brothers. They baptize by proxy everyone they can think of (probably you and I have been baptized into the LDS church by now!).

14. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Well, sure, every church claims to believe the OT and NT “insofar as they are translated correctly”. That’s hardly a Mormon distinctive. They rely on books other than the Bible, but so do Catholics and Orthodox. They teach a form of theosis, but so do the Orthodox, as did some of the Church Fathers themselves. The Scriptures do mention “baptism for the dead” (1 Cor. 15:29), so the Mormons can say at the very least that they didn’t invent the concept.

I’m playing “devil’s advocate” here but hopefully the point is plain. If one clearly distinguishes between orthodox and heterodox forms of Christianity, it’s useless to deny the label to those who are simply going to claim it for themselves anyway.

15. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    But the good news (no pun intended) is that, although the Old and New Testaments weren't translated correctly, Joseph Smith did the job for us and translated it correctly for us. It's called the Inspired version. The reason you don't hear much about it is because Smith's wife Emma kept the document after Smith was killed and Brigham Young failed to get his hands on it before his crowd travelled to Utah. It was published in 1867 by the group Emma Smith belonged to The Reorganised Church of LDS.

The bad news for Christians is apparently the Song of Soloman isn't in the Bible, the Johannine comma is in and 800 words were missed out of Genises Chapter 50 that includes prophecy about Smith himself.

16. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    The LDS teaches a lot more errors than that. Catholics might be wrong on somethings but they are Christian where as the LDS are not.

eirna likes this.
  17. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    They "claim" lots of things, but their theology is not Christian in any way. It's a stretch to even call it a syncretic variant of Christianity. I agree with @bwallac2335 : Mormons are not Christians, while RC members are (misguided though they are on a lot of things). Mormons believe that God was once a man, who ultimately ascended; they also believe that all Mormons, rightly guided, can become Gods. They also believe that Christ and Satan are "spirit brothers" and sons of God. They also practice baptism of the dead.

Same for Jehovah's Witness -- their theology is not Christian at all (they say that Christ is a creature, they deny the Trinity, they deny the Holy Spirit's personhood, etc.). Quakers also. America in the 19th and 20th centuries was a fertile breeding-ground for cults; people who think that craziness only started in the 1960's are way off.

Lots of groups claim Christian branding; you have to read the ingredients on the side of the box.

18. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Someone else has seen that Hans Fiene video where Francis turns into Leo X!

19. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Ah, upstate New York, where the long-lost true form of Christianity was finally restored to mankind not once, but twice!

20. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I’m going to display my visible unity as a Roman Catholic by attending an Anglican Church.

Thanks for the permission, Pope Francis.

anglican74 likes this.