Need help understanding ACNA - is it liberal?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Rev2104, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I liberal is the acna? Looking at tending a service at one of there church's.
    How liberal compared to something like apck?
    Thanks

2. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    Women's ordination and some charismatic leanings, depending on locale of the congregation I guess. Are you currently attending an Anglican church within the Continuum? Blessings.

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    ACNA is a very diocese by diocese proposition. How some of the constituencies thought they could co-exist with some of the others in the fold is a mystery to me. But, in general, ACNA has set itself up as a 'convergence' church (that is: Anglo-Catholic, Evangelical, and Charismatic are equally valid expressions of spirituality). If you wish to compare them, as a collective, to the APCK, ACNA are flaming reds (ie. Communist) to the APCK's deeply Marian blue (ie. Anglo-Papist).

The great conundrum for ACNA, and their Lutheran counterpart NALC, is that they stayed in the parent church so long (TEC and ELCA respectively) that they cannot accurately identify a conservative. They are both thoroughly moderate, but they think they are conservatives.

You might find a good service and you might find a bunch of hand-waving charismatics with overly-loud guitar music and a priest un-vested - maybe even a female celebrant. You might find a prayer-book service and you might find a make-it-up for 'mission' service.

4. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I was a member of an APCK parish and loved it. Went through a very bitter divorce so left that church. I have been floating around a Lutheran church.
    I miss the Anglo Catholic Church. There is a acna that sounds very much Anglo catholic and the research I have done have been a little hazy on them.
    Thanks for the comments

5. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    On behalf of the ACC, you are most welcome to start attending one of our churches, provided you live near one. God bless.

6. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    If you had near me in Oregon I would say sign me up.

7. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That's really not the right first response to a general question about what ACNA is like. It is a new province and the uniformity of worship is still being established, but it is already far more orthodox (in churches which don't have women priests or charismatics, which is the majority), than many Continuing churches, many of whom worship Mary, pray to the Saints, reject the Prayer Books, and espouse all of the anti-Anglican and non-Anglican beliefs which should immediately disqualify them from being Anglican.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  9. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    According to some of the documents, not according to the statistical average of what ACNA churches are like.

The counter-part to that argument is that the ACNA is the only Anglican jurisdiction that has the trappings of a proper Anglican Province, with churches all around the continent, and evenly spread throughout the continent. They already have so many more members than any Continuers, even all Continuiers combined, and with the joining of the Diocese of South Carolina will balloon even further. They're also the only ones in ecumenical talks with the Orthodox, Roman Catholics, the Lutherans, and other prominent Church Bodies. Archbishop Beach looks and functions like an actual primate, you know? No Continuing archbishop has a pretense to functioning like a primate of North America, and until recently they didn't even have ecumenical talks with each other, let alone other Christian bodies.

My other counter-argument is that when the Continuing churches departed from TEC in the 1970s, that's not to their credit, because since that time, in the last 40 years, they had given a free reign to do Anglo-Catholic and Anglo-Papal things. All the things which are as non-Anglican as women-priests-- eucharistic adoration, prayers to the saints, the usage of "Missals", etc etc. Thus they are oftentimes not even recognizably Anglican, because they hadn't belonged to an Anglican body for so long that that memory has been lost for them.

ACNA by contrast lives and functions like an Anglican province, a replacement for TEC, and by all accounts it is well on its way to being. Sure it has parishes that are problematic, but no worse than any Continuing jurisdictions; except that the Continuiers have had 40 years to fix things (and the more time they've had the worse they got, so time is not on their side!). So on the worse parts ACNA is no worse, but on the better parts it is far better.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I see I ruffled some feathers.

We Continuers have our problems. ACNA is moderate and is not going to become more conservative - especially with DioSC in the fold.

Anglo1 likes this.
  11. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    So I went to the ACNA service last night. They had a lot of young families and it at first appeared to be a modern catholic church. Than the Bishop started preaching. He was barefoot. He also was wearing blue jeans. Good sermon so I am trying to be upbeat. Than they started to do confirmation and than asked people to pray over them. This was when I noticed that this Parish was not right for me.
    I will be going back to St. Mark's, a part of the APKC. I had a long talk with the priest there over my lunch today and I will go make a new, fresh start there this weekend.
    My christian experience is really rooted in Latin Catholicism. When things move too far from there I get uncomfortable. I am sure those people at the ACNA parish are wonderful people, I just know that style of worship really is not for me.

12. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I see your points. One of the must frustrating things I see in the Anglican movement is the constant fractioning to over smaller groups. I understand why they had to step away from the TEC. Things like the women ordination is just unchristian, not just unanglican.

Also how are missal un anglican?

13. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    I work with the public for a living. Ruffling feathers doesn't concern me one bit. I'll keep the 1940 Hymnal over a guy wearing mom jeans singing Hillsong anthems and passing it off as Anglican worship any day of the week.

alphaomega likes this.
  14. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    Would that be St Mark's in Portland? Just looked it up. Best of luck. Hope the links I provided can be a good alternate for it, in case the need ever arises. Blessings.

15. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I looked through them a little on my lunch break. I saved them and will more than likely look at them more later.
    I am always trying to find good info on Anglicanism, just kinda hard. We are a small quite group.
    Yes saint Mark's. It is a beautiful church with a wonderful priest.The church I left after the divorce and now I am going back. Just kinda hard. Well a lot hard.

16. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is of course some difference between awe and bewilderment. Anglicanism has always been better than a binomial solution. The North American experience over the last 30 or so years has been terrifying, and everything seems to make it more fractured. The great vision of the Elizabethan settlement where every loyal and faithful citizen could be bound to Church and Monarch seems to have evaporated.

The Australian experience has been quite interesting, though different. Historically the Diocese of Sydney has been thoroughly low church evangelical (for a priest to gain a licence their is an oath to be sworn not to wear 'the' vestment). In the 1990's the Diocese was extremely influenced by the Jensen brothers who understood Anglicanism in a much more narrow way, and determined to take the reformation further than it had every gone before. For some time it looked like they might leave ACA (and take the money with them) however after +Peter Jensen retired into the world of Gafcon, the newly elected Bishop is a decidedly more moderate Evangelical, who has a real concern for the wider Church and the Communion. In that sense we are more united than we ever were before. There have been several break away Churches all intent on preserving their understanding of Anglicanism, none of which have retain a significant enough membership to gain a momentum. Most recent departures seem to have been to the Ordinariate, which I think has less that 10 priests in Australia, and does not seem likely to make much in the way of inroads. The schism here seems to have been largely a clerical movement. Whilst our land-size is a bit less than the USA, our population is around 25 Million, so the tyranny of distance is a big issue for us. In rural areas it becomes the clergy to find a sensible place to stand so that people don't have to drive 3 hours to the next parish.

Half the trick for being Anglican is learning to be comfortable where you are. The truth is that does not always work. Divorce of course is going to make it harder, A beautiful Church and a Good Priest is a great start, I really hope it works well for you.

I often have to remind myself that if I found a perfect church I would muck it up if I joined!

Peace on the Pilgrimage of Grace

Madeline likes this.
  17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I always thought oz was bigger than USA