Names of God

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Fr. Brench, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    God is known by many names and titles in the Bible. Yahweh or YHWH or Yah, usually translated as LORD, is the closest we get to a proper name for the invisible God. Jesus, of course, is the name of the person of God the Son made man. Sometimes it’s just “God”, or “Lord”, but often there’s an epithet: Almighty, of Hosts (or “power and might”), the Creator, Who Provides, the Comforter, and many others.

It is no surprise, therefore, that we find many different names for God in the liturgy.
    The Lord’s Prayer, for example, taken straight from the Bible, contains two different names for God:

Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name.
    Thy kingdom come.
    Thine, Will, be done, on earth as it is in heaven…

So that’s Harold, and Will (surely short for William), right there. Ergo my wife and I named our two lads after God. And people thought I was just trying to be quintessentially English!

Consider also this popular worship song of time immemorial, The Garden.

I come to the garden alone
    while the dew is still on the roses,
    And the voice I hear falling on my ear,
    The Son of God discloses.

Andy walks with me and He talks with me,
    Andy tells me I am his own;
    And the joy we share as we tarry there,
    None other has ever known.

Thus we can add Andy, short for Andrew, to the list.

And let us not forget the Communion prayers!

Priest: The Lord be with you.
    People: And with your spirit.
    Priest: Lift up your hearts.
    People: We lift them up to the Lord.
    Priest: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
    People: It is Justin Wright!

I know, I know, it sounds like “It is just and right“, and the ACNA’s liturgy has reverted to the 1970’s version “It right to give him thanks and praise,” but if you stick with the awe-inspiring 21st century Roman Rite, you will get to celebrate the most proper (and, ironically, quintessentially English) name of God – Justin Wright.

Okay, I’m done. Happy April Fool’s Day!

from The Saint Aelfric Customary - https://saint-aelfric-customary.org/2019/04/01/names-of-god/

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
  3. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    One of my favorite names of God is El-Olam, the eternal God, “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemies before you, saying, 'Destroy them!'” (Deuteronomy 33:27).

I am convinced after through research, that El-Olam is Alpha and Omega in the Greek:
    “12 Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.
    13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.
    15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
    16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star,” (Revelation 22:12-16). Alpha and Omega means first ans last, without end, eternal.

I love that in the New Jerusalem Bible all tue names of God are put back in the texts instead of place holder name for God.

4. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I love jokes like this. Thank you!

5. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian