My vocation

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by kestrel, Oct 24, 2012.

1. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Hi all,

It's been a long time since I post on this forum.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I attended a diocesan vocational seminar in the CoE that would select those who will attend the Bishops Advisory Panel (BAP)[^1].

To make the story short I was dropped out on account of my English pronunciation --which is much worse than my written skills-- and my lack of familiarity with the "real" CoE and English life in general --which is probably true as well. I come from a small overseas chaplaincy in Spain, originally for British and Anglican expats.

So it will be at least one year more until I see the BAP, supposing I can cope with both issues (I'm already working towards that, with the help of my priest). I'm neither too hopeful nor too pessimistic.

[^1] The BAP is the institution which finally recommends enquirers for training for ordained ministry or not.

Old Christendom and Stalwart like this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi kestrel, long time no see you here!

Thanks for the update, I was impressed by your decision when you announced it last time, and I'm sure it still come out eventually. The CoE would be silly to reject someone devoted and pious as you.

kestrel likes this.
  3. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    You're not English, Kestrel?

4. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    No, I am not. As you are probably aware the CoE mantains a large number of overseas chaplainces through the Diocese in Europe. These are attended by Anglicans of many nationalities. It is a long story but I was formally accepted in the CoE there. And the thing is I do feel a vocation that might take me to The UK. God willing and supposing I can overcome my shortcomings, I am determined to have as good a preparation as possible.

Old Christendom and Stalwart like this.
  5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Kestrel lives in a CoE chaplaincy on the Continent, and has an amazing journey towards Anglican priesthood. We pray for the best for you, Kestrel.

6. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Yes, I know. I attend an overseas chaplaincy as well.

I'll pray for you.