My intro

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Enigmius, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Enigmius

Enigmius New Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican/Episcopalian
    Hello.

I am from the Dallas/Ft Worth area of Texas. My mother was raised as a Roman Catholic as a child but swore off the church an adult over politics. My Father was loosely brought-up Methodist or Presbyterian, but either way he was not a church goer as an adult. So needless to say I was not raised with any church background at all.

As a young adult(mid-20's) I began looking for some christian denomination to join. I wanted something traditional, but I was equally afraid.
    So I found a gnostic church called the Apostolic Johannite Church. They appeared traditional, but were very spiritual in practice, and in hindsight perhaps a little too open in spirituality. I was baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy spirit with them. I've never been baptized before, so it was with them that I turned to Jesus.

But...
    As much as I enjoy reading these alternative gospels, I believe God wasn't done with me.
    I kept feeling an urge to go deeper, and keep looking; where I was with the AJC was only a starting point, not the final destination. So I kept looking for a mainline denomination. The Roman Catholic Church, although I love their rich tradition, wouldn't work because I can never get behind the idea of a Pope. I kept looking.

That is when I found TEC and the Anglican tradition in my early 30's. This was hitting all the targets that my soul was yearning for....Traditional prayers, traditional practices, ancient but somehow familiar.

Now I am 37. I would definitely consider myself Anglo-Catholic in spirit; although, I am not confirmed in the Anglican faith yet. I certainly want to be. But in order to do that, I will have to find a parish priest that would recognize my former baptism in the AJC, since you can only be baptized once. I would also have to get over my fear about discussing that with a parish priest whom might deem that baptism as illicit.

But anyhow, there you go. That's my story.

anglican74 and alphaomega like this.
  2. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome to the forum. You will find people here from all kinds of different religious backgrounds, I myself am a relative "newbie" to traditional Anglicanism. I find it easy to sink into, easy to belong also it has much history and depth. Glad you're with us.

Enigmius and anglican74 like this.
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Beautiful story, friend. Our Father takes us on journeys every which way, in order to bring us to His Son.

As for your baptism, all you have to do is just request a conditional rebaptism. Easy peasy. Don't let that hold you back!

Enigmius likes this.
  4. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I pray that God guides you in your journey.

Enigmius likes this.