My confession

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Gjoll, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Gjoll

Gjoll New Member

England
    Religion:
    Christiianity
    I was baptized and confirmed an Anglican. I was advised to leave Anglicanism by an Anglican priest in 1984 due to my vehement opposition to women priests, when I was still young. Since then, I am a wanderer owning no denomination nor church as home. My respect for Anglicanism is certainly not for the "ism" - indeed I deplore the current strain of Anglicanism as represented by the majority of bishops who represent to me little more than servile pandering to government promulgated atheism. ... It seems to represent a voluntary system of law which, even if in limited respects is good, is yet antithetic to biblical faith in many aspects and at variance with the founding 39 articles. Where after all does the bible ever require a qualification to speak in the congregation or require a criminal record check to undertake church work? Christianity would have been snuffed out even before it had begun by such perverse tactics. ... There have however been many learned Anglicans down the ages whom I respect, such as Frederic Farrar, the author, and many others ... Unfortunately most of them died long ago; and to all intents and purposes, belonged to a different creed from the one formulated and practiced by untrammeled 20th century liberalism, which I despise.

-edited.

Old Christendom and Spherelink like this.
  2. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Gjol, welcome and I must say that I am leaning towards most of your findings!

Jeff

Old Christendom likes this.
  4. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

5. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Welcome, Gjoll.

The Spirit blows where He will. Whenever widespread corruption threatens to eclipse the Church from the face of the earth, the Lord always raises up new shepherds to tend the flock.

The Church Catholic will forever abide in the hands of the Lord. I haven't had any personal experience with Presbyterianism, although I do consider myself a Reformed Christian or a "Calvinist."

-edited.

6. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This is not to my knowledge a forum for dissident Anglicans. There is/was such a forum called "Anglican Diaspora". Some of your statements come close to being derogatory about Anglicanism/the CofE, and this breaks House Rules.

-edited for continuity.

7. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In my Diocese, and I suspect others, the number of people coming forward for ordination is increasing.

-edited for continuity.

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Several posts in this thread have been edited for disparaging comments about the church. Please remember to stick to the Terms of Service.

9. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Welcome. I to have a opposition to women priest I am thankful that I found the Charismatic Episcopal Church that does not do that silliness

10. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In my diocese about half the ordinands, for both the priesthood and the diaconate, are female. As one of my fellow parishioners (elderly and male) says, "we'd be lost without them". At our local medical surgery, four of the six doctors are women. So is our lawyer. So are plenty of dentists and accountants, as are our vicar and curate. Silliness? Well, this is the 21st century. The CofE is keeping up to date and benefitting from it.

11. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    The CofE going against Scripture and Tradition. Liberals will never understand nor venerate and revere Scriptures making their own way how they think God should be making their own god

12. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Are you saying that women priests are anti-God? Shall I tell my (Anglo-Catholic female) Vicar and fellow communicants after eucharist on Wednesday? Please let me know before then. I'll give you her reply.

Why is it essential to have male genitalia to celebrate the eucharist?

13. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is a typical attempt on behalf of pro-female-clergy advocates to belittle genders in general, and maleness in particular. It is essential to a family to have a father, who is irreplaceable, and so the Church is established as a figure of fatherhood upon the whole human race. As Christ was the father, so the priests are fathers to their people. God is not a mother and Christ is not a mother. These are strongly gendered beings, and so the Church since it is supernatural is a strongly gendered institution. Modern fetishism with trying to abolish genders is a quixotic attempt that can only end in self-destruction.

Old Christendom and historyb like this.
  14. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    What Salwart said. Liberals hate the idea of Scripture and only like what lines up with what they think should be

15. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm not sure that our priest considers herself liberal, but I am sure that she does not "hate the idea of Scripture". I'll ask her if you want.
    As a practicing (albeit monogamous) heterosexual I most certainly do not belittle gender. As a Christian I am aware of 3 Galatians 28. In Christ, there is......."neither male nor female. For ye are all one in Jesus Christ".

Do you have a problem with female doctors, lawyers, judges, accountants or dentists? Perhaps you feel that women should be confined to the kitchen?

16. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    I was talking about you. It's clear you don't adhere to Scripture or Tradition and are a liberal

17. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am proud to be a liberal but I do not hate the idea of scripture, and especially not the New Testament.

18. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A further point. If, God forbid, the CofE fired all its women priests, how would we fill the vacancies? Take it from me, they are doing a splendid job.

19. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Right and it takes a liberal perspective which you may have ingested without even realizing it is liberal, to see it a certain way. All that line says is that there is no difference between genders when God evaluates you. To the judgment of God, there is neither a male nor female, but you are either in Christ (saved), or not (damned).

That does not mean that genders don't exist, because that same Paul elsewhere says that a bishop is a man of one woman. Notice he does not say that a bishop person can only marry one other person. He strongly genders the bishop as male, and strongly genders his spouse as female. A bit embarrassing for the post-modern brigade, because they think they are holier than St. Paul!

God The Father and the Holy Ghost are explicitly gendered as masculine and not a third-person neutral 'forces'. Another oops!

And finally, the same Paul you've chosen to invoke explicitly teaches, that man is made in the image of God, but woman is not; she is made in the image of man.

There are many other strong exegetical and church-historical proofs that establish the Church as a masculine fatherly authority. As God is the father of the world, it the face of the masculine God to the world. The perpetually visible messengers of God, to humanity. "As My Father sent me, I send you."

Not at all. In secular professions there is no fatherly authority embedded in the profession. They are based entirely on whether the person has the skills or not.

It is too easy for people on the other side of the issue (like you) to slide into an attempt to smear your opponents as neanderthals even if you don't realize it. But you just need to look at the disintegration of the family in the UK to know that the liberal experiment with genders has been a crashing moral and societal failure. You can keep clinging to these ideas, because you may think it's "What Intelligent People Do", but at the end of the day, it becomes just a posture, nothing more, at war with the facts of reality. The facts and science (not to mention God) are on this side, and posturing is on the side of the post-modern brigade.

Old Christendom and historyb like this.
  20. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    How did it do it for the last 2,000 years?

historyb likes this.