Movie Most Recently Watched

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Simon Magus, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

As the title suggests. Bonus points for including stills, posters, or mini-reviews.

[​IMG]

My most recent movies were Fish Tank (2009) and Warning Shadows (1923). Both were merely okay. The former is a stark slice-of-life British realism piece, but not nearly in the same league as Naked (1993) or Morvern Callar (2002), which really set the bar for that kind of thing as far as I'm concerned. The latter is a silent German Expressionist offering, worthwhile mainly for its creative use of shadow-play and its fine cinematography (it was shot by the same director of photography who lensed Nosferatu).

[​IMG]

Old Christendom likes this.
  2. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    I haven't gone to the pictures in ages...

I think the last movie I watched was the new Bond. It was not bad.

Incense likes this.
  3. Incense

Incense Active Member

Last movie I watched was Coco Chanel:
    [​IMG]
    I like her! (I guess I am vain) but I think her life teaches a good lesson!

and the one before it was Shawshank Redemption
    [​IMG]
    I liked it too and it kind of teaches the same lesson hehe!

I do not really watch a lot of movies but I do enjoy them =) unless they are horror ones, I have not yet been able to watch any.

4. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    Ha! You should watch Bram Stoker's Dracula! "Love never dies." It's truly an immortal masterpice.

Shawshank Redemption is very uplifting as well. I'm not so sure about Coco Chanel, though. :cool:

5. Incense

Incense Active Member

I have read Dracula for my course last year. Will have to think about watching it, I guess it will not be too scary after knowing the story :think:

6. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    It's not scary at all.

It's rather dramatic and provocative but not exactly scary or gore. That I leave to mediocre movies such as Saw or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Incense likes this.
  7. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    While recently breaking my own movie theory of "There are two types of movies, old westerns and new westerns", I watched the new 007 movie. I really enjoy the new era of Bond films, the cheesy antics of old seem to be gone!:)

Jeff

8. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    [​IMG]

I watched "real steel" a coupe days ago. Awesome action movie! Set in the future where robots instead of humans box, a washed up ex boxing champion gets to relive his last boxing match proving he's still a champion while rebuilding his relationship with his son.. Uplifting Hollywood at its best :)

9. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

Last week I watched The Lady Vanishes (1938), a comedic thriller from early in Hitchcock's career. It was slow to warm up, but once it got going it offered some enjoyable viewing. (Hitchcock is not considered the Master of Suspense for nothing). Margaret Lockwood (I almost wrote Margaret Atwood!) was excellent in the lead role, and she found good chemistry and a witty repartee with Michael Redgrave, who played her nemesis-turned-ally. It's not a deep film by any means, but it does find room for a sly bit of commentary on conspiracy theories, which nowadays seem to be all the rage. (Particularly, I find, among Roman Catholics. But that's a topic for another time).

[​IMG]

I also watched The Most Dangerous Game (1932), which is based on a popular short story. I read the story when I was in middle school, which was a long time ago, so I was far enough removed from remembering the plot details that I could enjoy the movie fresh. It's a good one, too—only an hour long, and without a single wasted minute. The sets and cinematography are masterful. A lot of directorial effort was put into conveying the oppressive & humid gloom of a Portuguese chateau built on a tropical island and converted into a decadent mansion by an enigmatic Russian hunter, who has a "trophy room" which remains off-limits to his visitors. The film reaches a fever pitch of creepiness before it springs into its third act, which is a taut adventure sequence in which the hero and heroine are turned loose into the jungle to match wits with their host, who has become their predator. Quite good. Three out of four stars.
    [​IMG]

10. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    As an aside ,What film do you think the most people in Britain have paid to see and when was it?
    The answer may surprise you!

11. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

A Clockwork Orange? I actually have no idea.

12. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Nice try but I'm afraid you're nowhere near correct.:)

13. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

Assuming population growth in England, I guess it might be a more recent movie. I still have no idea. Titanic? Slumdog Millionaire? The Unbearable Lightness of Being?

14. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

15. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    NO :D .I suspect the movie (a war movie) grossed orders of magnitude less than Skyfall .
    :rolleyes::p

16. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    Saving Private Ryan?

17. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    No... But I'll let everyone know in about 12 hours which is my morning.

18. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    OK the film was made in 1916 and was called "The Somme" It consisted of real scenes from WWI . About 23 million Britons saw it as their patriotic duty to pay to see it.

Simon Magus and Old Christendom like this.
  19. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

That's interesting. But now it is time to obey the rules of the thread. What was the last movie you saw, AnglicanAgnostic?

20. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I'm not much of a film buff but the last film I saw was either Forrest Gump or the one who's name I've forgotten about an Aussie pianist called Helfgot.