Morning Prayer

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by CFLawrence, Jan 24, 2019.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    Hey Shiny Happy Anglican People!!

Every Wednesday in Lent from Ash Wednesday to Spy Wednesday I will be saying Morning Prayer at my local nursing home where my Nana spent her final years. It is actually a bit of a penance because I was neglectful of my Nana who was indeed, a saint.

I will be using the 1979 BCP Rite 1 in such a way as to conform to the 1662 BCP. I had a teacher in school who once said of me that I never break the rules... I just bend them as far as possible. I just like dignified worship.

So, what experiences do you have, leading the office, working with the elderly, what challenges are there I may not have even thought of??

I’m actually terrified. I just want them to feel included, thought of and cared for.

CF Lawrence

JoeLaughon likes this.
  2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    More than half of the people that come will most likely not be Anglican. But they will all be lonely and most will be seeking peace for the end of their sojourn on this Earth.

On another note, the nursing home staff will most likely pay little attention to what you do. I say this to alleviate any fear you may have of the director trying to hamstring or censor your service. For the most part, they are just glad someone comes to spend some time with the old folks.

3. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian

Thank you... I have been thinking that the most important part of the service is to get there early and stay after to visit and bit for those who might need to chat. Oh sweet Lord, I better bring some of my tea! If I end up in a nursing home without a pukka cup of tea I'll "water my couch with tears".

4. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    WOW !!! Totally awesome idea. !!!! Certainly an idea and action that will bless others

5. Leacock

Leacock New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Just as a recommendation, I find when you are holding an event at a senior residence snacks go over extremely well.

A bag of doughnut holes is a cheap way to bring them over.

This is a great thing to do BTW, those residences are often very sad and lonely places.

6. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    Thank you so much. Great advice and it would not have crossed my mind.