Metropolitan Jonah...Forced Resignation? Orthodox Church News

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Sean611, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I'm sure many of us have heard about the resignation of Orthodox Church in America leader Metropolitan Jonah. The resignation came after he was accused of covering or failing to remove a priest accused of rape. What's interesting and sad about this story is that the "priest" accused of rape was no a priest at all and not even Orthodox (this was mentioned on Anglican Unscripted episode 46). Many think that Jonah was forced into resignation due to many factors including:

1. White, non-Eastern European, young American man.
    2. Episcopalian convert to Orthodoxy.
    3. Desired to update the structuring of the Church to be more efficient.
    4. Made the Church much more ethnically diverse.

Forcing Jonah out of office has been very unpopular with most parishes and is causing a lot of strain in the OCA. Thoughts?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ape-cover-up/2012/07/20/gJQAHAGcyW_story.html

2. Andy Cothran

Andy Cothran Active Member

united states
    Religion:
    protestant
    Sean First i believe that a man is innocent until proven guilty ..I know the American media as well as millions of Americans probably do not believe in that any more ..but i do ..This is according to this article and alleged cover up ..Without definative proof no one should ever to be asked much less pressured to resign from any position whatsoever . Now that being said if he is guilty he should not only be dismissed but prosecuted ..but that has not obviously been determined ..

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    As a member of the OCA for close to ten years all I can say is that I believe that the Holy Synod did the right thing. I was originally a supporter of Metropolitan Jonah but it became apparent very early on that he could not fulfill his duties as Metropolitan. I would highly doubt that outside of the Diocese of the South that he has much support. He was at odds with his brother bishops, the metropolitan council, the officers of the church and ordained and lay leaders throughout the Church. That very quickly adds up to a couple hundred people with fiduciary responsibility that felt he was not following mandatory OCA policies. He should have never been elected but the OCA was reeling from major financial scandals that shocked everyone and then newly elected Bishop Jonah was the only new blood in the room. The Archbishop that should have accepted election +Job turned down the position. I wish +jonah well but I pray that he never ever again is placed in such an important position.

Sean611 likes this.
  4. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Thank you Robert for the insight. You, having been in the OCA for close to ten years, would definitely know more about the situation than us outsiders. Is +Job still a possibility for the Metropolitan position or have they already filled the role?

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Unfortunately, His Eminence, Archbishop Job who was one of those primarily responsible for getting the scandal cleaned up died unexpectedly. He thought he had a cold but in reality it was double pneumonia, he collapsed in a parking lot and I am unsure how long it was until he was discovered. He had every intention of retiring and concentrating on living a simple life of prayer and repentence. It is impossible to discern how long he would have lived as Metropolitan. It is my belief that the Holy Synod will look for experience, wisdom, and a tested Hierarch. Most likely Archbishop Nathaniel the LOcum Tenens. Several of the current bishops are relatively new.

6. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Thank you for your insight. Archbishop Nathaniel seems like a great choice. For those who are unfamiliar with Archbishop Nathaniel, here is a biography:

http://oca.org/holy-synod/bishops/the-most-reverend-nathaniel