Megachurch Will Pay Millions to Part With Biggest Presbyterian Denomination Amid Rift Over Jesus

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Mar 7, 2014.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Megachurch Will Pay Millions to Part With Biggest Presbyterian Denomination Amid Rift Over Jesus

pastor-john-ortberg.jpg

A California megachurch has voted to officially leave the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), a Christian denomination that is the largest in the nation.

Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in Menlo Park, Calif., one of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)’s largest congregations, made the choice despite facing a $8.89 million cost for the church’s property and membership fees, Religion News Service reported.

With 4,000 members, including former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Menlo Park’s decision is a major development in the lifecycle of a denomination that continues to experience ideological infighting over its more liberal stances on controversial issues.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...nomination-amid-major-rift-over-who-jesus-is/

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

"The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for Father seeketh such to worship him."

Kammi likes this.
  3. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This has nothing to do with Anglicanism.
    Sorry about my bodged other reply, but can I reiterate that this posting has nothing to do with Anglicanism.

4. Lowly Layman

It doesn't have to. Read the title of this forum section: "Anglican AND CHRISTIAN News". Presbyterians fall into the second category, do they not?

PointyHairedCalvinist likes this.
  5. JonahAF

JonahAF Moderator Staff Member Typist Anglican

These sorts of news tangentially touch upon central issues in today's anglican world, and I have no objections to them.

6. PointyHairedCalvinist

PointyHairedCalvinist New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Presbyterian (PCA)
    At leas the PCUSA will in some cases allow dissenters to buy their way out. The TEC Arch-Priestess not only won't let dissenting congregations take their property with them, but won't even let the hollowed shells she took over be sold to said dissenting congregations!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

sad but true. i think one was turned into a mosque.