Matthew 16:19 - correct verb tense

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Traveler, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Traveler

Traveler Member

USA
    Religion:
    RC, moving to Anglican
    Which verb tense do you think is more correct for Matthew 16:19?

NIV:
    "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

NASB95:
    "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."
    I see the future tense in more translations, but sometimes with a footnote saying, "or 'shall have been.'"

It seems to me an important distinction.

Thanks!

2. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Perhaps more important is understanding what binding and loosing mean. Here is a video from Brandon Robbins explaining these words
    Bind & Loose: 08:43

Tiffy and Traveler like this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    δώσω σοι τὰς κλεῖδας τῆς βασιλείας τῶν οὐρανῶν, καὶ ὃ ἐὰν δήσῃς ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἔσται δεδεμένον ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς, καὶ ὃ ἐὰν λύσῃς ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἔσται λελυμένον ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς.

Matthew 16_19.jpg

The key verb you are3 asking about is estai and I think a plain reading is [robably closer to the NIV. NASB whilst not destroying the text may be reading it through a theological filter.
    Matthew 16:19 (NRSV)
    I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.’

https://bible.oremus.org/?ql=542677702

Traveler likes this.
  4. Traveler

Traveler Member

USA
    Religion:
    RC, moving to Anglican
    Thank you both!