Matthew 10:33

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Dave Kemp, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Matthew 10:33
    King James Version

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

This verse has always had a massive effect on me, I wasn’t always a follower of Christ. I’ve repented of my previous life and actions and try my best but maybe, haunts me, is too strong, but it’s always with me.

Is there a more terrifying thing our Lord and saviour ever said than this?

Rexlion and Stalwart like this.
  2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Not really as it is saying you will be going to hell. But look at Peter. He denied Christ three times. Repented and was accepted back by Jesus. That story completes this verse.

Rexlion and Dave Kemp like this.
  3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We do go to hell for it, if it is a purposeful, definitive choice. Had Peter done so in that definitive way, he would have been forfeit as well. The perfidy of Peter teaches us about the weakness of man, and the central role of repentance in the Christian life. Without repentance, then all we have are 'definitive choices'. And our definitive choices are pretty much all damnable, thus without repentance all of humanity becomes forfeit.

Rexlion and Dave Kemp like this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I think these words rank right up there in the 'terrifying' category, too:

Mat 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
    Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
    Mat 13:48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
    Mat 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
    Mat 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Stalwart and Dave Kemp like this.
  5. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Matt 7:21-23 is pretty terrifying:

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
    22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons vin your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’
    23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Dave Kemp likes this.