Many stripes vs. few in Luke's Gospel

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Lowly Layman, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Today's morning prayer reading includes this passage from St. Luke: "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

How are we to interpret this? Is Hell different for different folks? or is heaven? or is this a reference to purgatory? Is ignorance a defence at the judgment seat? If so, should we, out of mercy and love for the lost, be cautious about who we attempt to witness to lest our misguided attempts to proselytize leave our audience's eternal state worse off rather than better?

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Re proselytising, I can't think of anyone who'd be worse off after hearing of Jesus

Lowly Layman and Madeline like this.
  3. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I agree with Aidan. Trust in the Lord that he'll help us even if we don't think we know the right words to say. And, taking a page from my Quaker past, I love the saying, "Let your lives speak."

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    From my understanding, this has to do with levels of punishment/hell/grave etc. There are deadly sins,(mortal sin)and lesser sins. Do all sins/transgressions need or deserve the exact punishment? St. Isaac the Syrian gives the concept of God being a consuming fire and a purifying fire. The greater the sin the more time, the more of purifying fire that soul needs. If the soul is completely corrupt the fire (God, God's love) consumes completely. I know this is considered a very heretical viewpoint but it is accepted my many Orthodox Christians. It does seem to shed light upon this passage of Scripture.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Mike and Aidan, I agree. just posing the question in hopes that wiser minds could illuminate the passage.

6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Maybe it's an oversimplification, for me the passage means that the more knowledge you have the higher the standards expected of you and the greater the fall when transgressing. Also, I do believe that invincible ignorance is a valid defence. The Amazonian native who has never heard of Christ may attain heaven if he lives the life of a good man according to the perceived wisdom of his society

Christina, alphaomega and Madeline like this.
  7. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I presume you are using Romans to support this.

I this ancient Island I believe the Spirit of God whirled through the deserts long ago and whispered in the dream-time, before the Gospel of the liberty of Christ arrived on our shores accompanied by folk in chains.

Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature,
    invisible though they are,
    have been understood and seen through the things he has made.
    Romans 1:20

God is a God of revelation, we are called to see what has been revealed. The Spirit leads us to the Father through Jesus the Son.

Aidan, alphaomega and Madeline like this.
  8. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Aidan, I try to never presume I know the will of God, but your words feel true, and are nicely, simply put.

Aidan likes this.
  9. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Romans 2:14 has always gave me hope on this subject...God is merciful after all

Madeline likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

I think you and I are on the same wavelength there. I think God expects us to be accountable with what we've been given, like the wise virgins and the talents.

As for this, I think that Romans 10 would speak here. I don't think that those who have not heard the Gospel will be seeing heaven.

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    So Abraham and Moses aren't in heaven then?Paul was a Roman tax collector, an intelligent educated man. I wouldn't dare second guess him, but is it not possible that he assumes it a given that all good men go to heaven but that he wishes to challenge those who have heard of Jesus but remain in error?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    alphaomega likes this.
  12. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Thank you my sister in Christ

13. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Apostles Creed states "He descended into Hell" what did He do while there? St.Peter said He preached to the spirits....I believe He set captives free. Exactly what all this entails, I believe no one completely knows, He is a loving God and a mysterious God...

Aidan likes this.