Lower than a snake’s belly, or, AA made me a Puritan

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by CFLawrence, May 6, 2019.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian, TEC
    Hello listmates, I’m only posting to let anyone who might care know how my Anglican Experience is going. I came here an escapee from Roman Catholicism. Only recently did I shake off a great deal of Romish accretions like prayers for the dead, statues of Mary and the endless praying of rosaries.

Well my journey has taken my to a very low-church destination. Snake belly low! I’ve modeled my prayer life after that of the early AA’s when they were heavily influenced by the Oxford Groups of Frank Buchman. I begin Morning Watch, or Quiet Time with my ESV prayer bible (this is a brand new publication containing the complete ESV with 400 prayers interspersed written by Puritans, Reformers, Anglicans, Presbyterians) where I will read two or three verses and then shift into prayer, then return to the text for two or three more verses. There is a reading plan at the back of the Bible that I am following and of course you get to read some of those delicious 400 prayers also every day as well as a psalm, the perfect prayer.

Then I use the magazine Tabletalk for bible study.

Then I proceed with guidance. If I have a question for God I write it down in my note book and then proceed to write everything that comes to mind without judging it. When you are done (After about ten minutes) you check to see if what you wrote is absolutely honest, pure, unselfish and loving. If it is you’re on the right track. You want to get to a point where what you are writing is God-directed not ego-directed.

So yes, I have actually tossed aside my BCP. On the bright side my statue of the Queen arrived today!!!! Rule Britannia!!!

2. BibleHoarder

BibleHoarder Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian (Protestant)
    Glad to hear this. I love the ESV too, but I do love me some Roman Catholic books like The Imitation and of course the Douay-Rheims bible for studying the Vulgate. I'm also enamored with the BCP but enjoy all kinds of devotional works like Kept for the Master's Use by Anglican hymnist Frances Ridley Havergal. I bought a copy for my sister and she loved it. It needs to be more widely acknowledged these days than it is.

Do you use the Anglican rosary, by any chance? I like that it's not as wordy as the Dominican one.

3. mediaque

mediaque Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    I really like The Imitation as well. I love the BCP. I also really like the Anglican rosary.
    CF ... good to read that you have found a method of prayer that is strengthening your spiritual/prayer life.

4. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Active Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    What are AA's ?
    I read this thread heading and thought Oh Oh is he talking about me, as some people shorten my moniker to AA. :D

CFLawrence likes this.
  5. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian, TEC
    I should have written clearly Alcoholics Anonymous. It’s good for a laugh though .