1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    So what are you doing for Ash Wednesday and Lent?

Over the last couple of weeks, I've gotten lazy about praying the Daily Office (for reasons that I can correct). I'm going to make it a major, permanent part of my devotional life again. I'm also focusing on fasting (something that I have badly neglected), and I'm replacing some wasted TV time with time in prayer.

My parish is offering several services tomorrow. I hope to make it to a mid-morning service.

anglican74 and Toma like this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm personally opposed to the use of Ashes on the first day of Lent, seeing that the Lord Jesus - in the very Gospel appointed for that day - expressly forbids us to show off the fact that we're fasting & repenting. Wash your faces! :) This Christian will stay home to read & pray with that great and wonderful Commination from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer:

http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/occasion/commination.html

The 1962 Canadian BCP also contains a Penitential Service for Ash Wednesday, which will no-doubt be used across the country tomorrow. As it is short, it is good for all Wednesdays and Fridays in Lent:

http://prayerbook.ca/the-prayer-book-online/75-a-penitential-service-page-611

Incense likes this.
  3. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As for fasting, my practice is already set - but Wednesdays and Fridays in Lent can be a time for the greatest rigor in repenting of our worst idolatrous attachments. Not only should we fast on those ancient days of repentance, but maybe we should eat something we particularly dislike, in order to repent of our past softness, and to appreciate God more fully for all His creatures, not only those we prefer ourselves. Lent is not a season of momentary repentance, but a time for permanent Growth in Christ. :)

Remembering to pray the offices is a great simple start for people who are not used to sanctifying each day, in this fast modern age. Pray the Litany on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays in Lent too! It is a good way to examine ourselves, via the sins that we ask God to preserve us from.

1662 Litany:

http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/daily/litany.html

Peteprint likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's not that I'm not used to praying the Daily Office (I used to lead Evening Prayer for the college students). It's that I was sick & skipped it for a couple of weeks, and I wish that I hadn't done that.

But what I really wanted to know is what other people are doing for Lent. Are you saying that you're going to add the Litany?

Toma likes this.
  5. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well I already add the Litany on Sun, Wed and Fri... :p um... let's see...

Lent isn't necessarily a time to "do something" extra, is it? If we do practice anything unique, it is likely to be very personal to our own lives. Those who sin most by X Vice are likely to practice Y Virtue in Lent, to counteract the vice. :)

One thing I tend to do with the Office is pray with YouTube on: old Anglican musical settings blaring out for the Canticles. I think I will observe the "tempus clausum", or closed/silent time, for Lent. It is a good way to focus on God and the Word.

6. The Dark Knight

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well, as a matter of fact, we were always taught that it can be a time for something extra. Maybe it's different where you live. Anglican practice does vary. Here, too many people were turning Lent into a diet or a time to show off one's ultra-piety. Therefore, we have tried to emphasize the importance of adding devotional practices, going to additional weekday church services, or something like that. The priests encourage that as a way to keep Lent spiritually-focused. Our church offers services and fast-compliant lunches every day during Lent, for example. We might sacrifice time, big lunches, or selfishness while taking up an increased dose of the Word and prayer. I believe that Lent is a time for sacrifice, personal penitence, renewed devotion, or a combination of these things and more.

So, that was the genesis of my question - "What are you doing for Ash Wednesday and Lent?"

Symphorian likes this.
  7. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    For Ash Wednesday at my parish church we have The Litany and Holy Communion with imposition of ashes.

For personal daily devotion I'll be using the short office of 'Prayer during the day' from Common Worship 2000 and use the Epistle and Gospel readings from the daily Eucharistic Lectionary. This office is quite flexible - I work irregular hours so can adapt depending on what time of day I manage to pray it. I'll add a second office at the weekends when I'm not working. There's usually some kind of Lent course taking place in the Benefice but times don't work well for me so I'll be following a Lenten study from a book at home. I'm considering doing a 'Stations of the Cross' devotion on Fridays in Lent but might hold off on this until Holy Week.

I like the idea of taking on something new, particularly where the need of others come before my own selfishness. I'm going to spare a few hours each week to do some voluntary work with an Anglican based charitable trust for the homeless in my area. Hopefully that's something that I'll be able to continue and not just do for Lent.

Toma and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Often deny the Appetites of Sense,
    Enure thy self to frequent Abstinence,
    And practice an habitual Temperance,
    And join herewith Devotion constantly;
    Thus, shalt thou gain a noble Victory.

Lord, grant to me, and mine, this Grace, I pray,
    And I will glorify thee Day by Day;
    Never will I forget thy Mercy, Lord,
    But we will praise thee, all, with one Accord.

~ Daniel Hallows, A.M. Rector of Gilston in Hertfordshire, Ash Wednesday 1733

9. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Some good suggestions from Isaiah 1:16-18

Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean (spiritually). Remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord! (ESV)

Symphorian and Toma like this.
  10. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's a good passage, Jeff. :)

The Canadian BCP directs, in the Penitential Service, that the minister should read the first part of the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-20) if the service is prayed by itself, without Holy Communion. This is a very good idea - and it is a tradition of mine to pass down through the years, to read the entire Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1 - 7:27) at least on Ash Wednesday. It is the whole doctrine of the Lord contained in one place, and is most suitable for this season of increased turning unto Him! :)

anglican74 and Symphorian like this.
  11. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Getting ashes and eating pancakes.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I too seek to make Lent and Ash Wednesday in particular a renewed part of my life again. Thank you all for the thread.

Jeff F likes this.
  13. Incense

Incense Active Member

In my Church we started the great Lent on Monday and we do not have ash thing. We fast since Monday because there are 2 feasts that happen during lent and we do not fast on those so to keep the forty days we start earlier.

Toma likes this.