It is May, for Catholics the Month of Mary. What about for Anglicans?

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Cameron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Does your church do anything to commemorate the Blessed Virgin? This is her month. My grandfather would always display a May bush on his house, as well as wear blue vestments and lead public Rosaries.

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My parish isn't really doing things for the Blessed Virgin, which is probably more a Roman Catholic practice in this case... We celebrate her Feast Day as one of the saints, when it comes in due time

That being said, tomorrow May 3rd our parish is having the feast of Sts. Philip and James, so that's our main celebration, for the early part of May at least

3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    What's a May bush?

Cameron likes this.
  4. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    A wee little bush covered in blue strings and ribbons, often with medals also in the branches. [​IMG]

The picture above is actually taken at our parish cemetery, it's the grave of a relative. We put one there every year.

A Naomh Mhuire, a mháthair Dé, guí orainn na peacaithe, anois is ar uair ar mbás. Amen.

Aidan likes this.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Oh how beautiful. I'm not aware of this tradition ! However my high school always had a May altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin.

6. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Never heard of this at all.
    Never heard of this at all.

7. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was down at the Chancery last fall doing some liturgical training and the Archbishop celebrated Dormition. He donned Sarum blue vestments. I've got a wonderful set of Spanish cut vestments in Marian blue but the rector I serve under is very Protestant and would probably burst an aneurysm if we actually commemorated one of the Marian feasts.

Liturgyworks and Juliana like this.
  8. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    Is Dormition the same as Assumption? The Anglo-Catholic church we sometimes visit is going to have a High Mass on 15th August. Not sure if they have blue vestments though....

Liturgyworks likes this.
  9. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's the same date but the theology behind the terminology is not the same. As I understand it, the Roman Church is ambiguous in its teaching on whether Mary died, but she was assumed bodily into Heaven. Dormition acknowledges that she died before she passed into Heaven. In iconography, the Dormition is written with Mary in death's sleep upon a bed and the apostles surrounding her.

10. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    There are a few CofE churches which follow Roman tradition and have May devotions in honour of the BVM.

Westminster Abbey held a day inMay in honour of Our Lady of Walsingham when the the image of OLOW was processed from St Margaret's Church into the Abbey for a Sung Eucharist. More details here:

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-news/our-lady-walsingham

In terms of tree decorating, (not related to the BVM) I visited a church nearby a few days ago that has a Holy Well. There was a tree close to the well decorated with colourful prayer cards.

inCollage_20190717_150027833.jpg

Liturgyworks likes this.
  11. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    That is most unfortunate. You would think the Annunciation for example would be unobjectionable.

Dormition falls on the 15th of August, not May, however, so I don’t understand the May Marian thing. The Dormition of the Theotokos, the Nativity of the Theotokos and the Presentation of the Theotokos all occur in the latter half of the year, starting with the Dormition fast on August the 5th. The main Marian fest in the Spring is the Annunciation, and also Candlemass.

Shane R likes this.
  12. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    I like that very much. :tiphat:

13. PDL

PDL Active Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    My old parish used to celebrate May as Mary's month. We would have a crowning of the BVM and the Rosary was said more frequently. My current parish is stuck in a time warp (1970s) and so goes for Catholic minimalism. So, nothing Marian in our parish during May. Similarly, my current parish does not bother with October as the month of the Rosary, but my defunct parish did.

Liturgyworks, Juliana and Brigid like this.
  14. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Not quite, in that some Roman Catholics believe the Theotokos was assumed without dying, like Elijah but without the Chariot of Fire, whereas others, and everyone else, believes that she died, and her remains were then taken up into Heaven.

This latter story makes sense to me, because a dramatic assumption could have caused confusion or distraction to the evangelization of the nascent church, but St. Mary was clearly as worthy as St. Elias (Elijah) to reside bodily in Heaven together with her son, our Lord, God and Savior, from whom she had been very traumatically separated.

Juliana likes this.
  15. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Might I ask what your old parish was? It sounds very much on the Anglo-Catholic side of things. I assume by Rosary you mean the Marian one, and not the Anglican one based on the Jesus Prayer?