Is there room in the Episcopal Church for the common man?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by nkygreg, Nov 9, 2012.

1. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    This may sound a little silly but, I am serious. Is there room in the Anglican/Episcopal Church for a common man? I am so amazed at the intelegence and the knowledge of history by the persons of this forum as well as some EC's I have visited. I am just a common man.

Old Christendom and Toma like this.
  2. Pirate

Pirate Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I've been lurking for a couple of days but didn't really know where to jump in, because I kind of feel the same way! But there's definitely a place for the common man & a need for the common man. Just having read over some of the threads here, it looks like the knowledge of English history is certainly impressive. It's great to be up-to-speed, but it doesn't wreck one's Anglican experience if one isn't. The common man can definitely find a home here.

Toma likes this.
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I think there's lots of room for us. I am often astounded by the discussions taking place, but I am also a part of things here, to the best of my ability.

nkygreg and Toma like this.
  4. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In fact, true Christianity is the language and worship of the common, simple man!

There is no place for the stuffy intellectuals and theology-parsers. We are the ones much more in danger by our scrupulous obsession with every theological detail. Those who can be called common, simple, average, religiously unambitious, and humble in goal and mind, are the truly blessed ones.

Please forgive the angry navel-gazers, like myself, for ever pushing you guys away. Continue being the Common Christian; it's childlike, and exactly what the Lord Jesus pronounced blessed.

nkygreg likes this.
  5. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    Thanks guys for the thoughts. The problem with the EC in the USA is a lack of outreach. The Anglican/Episcopal Church has so much to offer.

6. Joan Lucia-Treese

Joan Lucia-Treese Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episopalian
    By the grace of God, we ALL have a place here!:)

nkygreg likes this.
  7. brjohnbc

brjohnbc New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Ecumenical
    Jesus was a common man! Intelligence and knowlege have nothing to do with it! We are all God's children, unique and precious in the eye's of God. No-one should ever feel they are not equal in God's eyes.

8. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    I've heard of a 'common faith' but I've never encountered a 'common man (or woman)' in Christianity. Each one is extraordinary, and I, probably we, all have much to learn from each other.

I wouldn't be put off by the intellectual chin-wagging and posturing- the truth is the truth, and none of us have anything like the whole of it individually; you always have something valuable to say even if you don't back it up with a quote from some lesser known 16th century albanian homily.

nkygreg likes this.
  9. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

They're just showing off. People like to hear themselves talk. Ignore them and come join the family. :D

10. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    There's plenty of room for the common man but church history and the church itself can come across as very interlectual, it is actually every person doing the best they can to make sense of the part God has given them within the church, and that falls onto everyone the same, common or not.:)

Spherelink and nkygreg like this.