Is it time to move on?

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Scottish Monk, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am beginning to ask myself the question that most of us frequently ask in regard to the online forums we visit--Is it time to move on? Maybe the discussion on the Forward Movement thread is a last straw for me and this forum. What started out as a question about the Forward Day by Day devotional, quickly turned into a bashing of the Episcopal Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music. If you cannot stay on topic and give a Christian answer, maybe you should stay away from the keyboard or this forum.

Now, please do not think I am ungrateful to all of the participants that have gone out of their way to inform me about orthodox Anglicanism. Far from it. I am very grateful for each and every "helpful" thread and post. You guys--the few that seem to be left--and those that have already moved on--you guys have taught me a great deal. After all I am just a retired businessman and many of your posts have patiently explained the classic Anglican perspective. In the words of our American rock and roll star, Elvis Presly: Thank you very much.

And a suggestion for some of you: Try to get past gender and same-sex criticism. It is getting old and boring. Think instead about Philippians 4:8.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Perhaps, this will be my last post. In any event, I have enjoyed conversing with all of you.

...Scottish Monk

mark1 likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's too bad most Anglicans have become so deeply divided into cultural camps that we can't engage in conversation without people leaving. Maybe this is a sign of why the Communion as a whole is in such a crisis. We keep stating our beliefs, but when push comes to shove we all just walk away and "move on". Why not stay and improve it? That's what I hope to do myself...

Anglican Forums can never grow and improve if everyone gets offended and leaves. Life's offensive ... and unfair... you won't find better manners elsewhere, as we are all sinners. :)

3. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I understand that we can discuss Anglicanism elsewhere. However, this board provides excellent, well-documented discussions. In the end, I think that this makes it worth listening to all the nonsense. And yes, I have long ago accepted that charitable behavior and message boards don't go together.

With regard to accepting diversity within the faith, I think that the sentiments here are similar to other boards (the few that I have visited). In the end, we are losing millions of the lost as we continue to bicker, but we all know that.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  4. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Most of those who are of The Lost are already derisive toward God and religion anyway. Just seeing us bickering isn't going to make them any more antagonistic toward Christianity than they already are. I do concur that it would be better if we presented a unified front, but as you say, no message board is ever like that. Atheist Forums generally convinced me that being an atheist turns you into a pretty vile person - but Christian Forums often give that same impression to atheists! :p

Hopefully this site can revive its community. Though I fear that much of the division is due to my assertive, fanatical way of arguing and offending people, the moving-on mentality may also be due to the shrinking of the Anglican spirit in the past 50 years. There are just fewer people who care enough to have their own views insulted in debate, so they don't join.

5. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello again!

I decided to continue posting in this forum because of the sincerity of many of the members and, as Mark1 stated above, the well-documented discussions. I come to this forum to read and learn, and help others do the same. I wish to thank those who have recently sent me personal messages.

Toma and Stalwart like this.