Is it fair to say that most medieval laymen did not understand the mass?

Discussion in 'Church History' started by With_the_scripture, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM.

1. With_the_scripture

With_the_scripture New Member

US
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This assertion does not seem to make much sense when you take into account the intelligibility of Romance languages with Latin. Especially because the majority of Europeans speak a Romance language. Would it be more correct to say that most could at least piece together what is being said?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That seems like a big stretch, like saying that the French and the Spanish are mutually intelligible, which they most certainly are not

dariakus likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The short answer has to be no.

You most certainly can understand the mass without knowing the liturgy it was written in. The language of the Mass is bread and wine, taken, offered, blessed and broken.

Shaun likes this.
  4. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Reformed High Anglican
    I know Eamon Duffy's scholarship will show that in some parts of England, the Latin mass was fairly well understood by the people. However across Western Christendom there was a widespread dissatisfaction in regards to how reverent the mass was and how ill-educated the clergy were. My guess is the norm was a certain degree of ambivalence if not total incoherence for many.

5. With_the_scripture

US
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I would say French has drifted a lot more from Latin than the other Romance languages, especially in pronunciation.
    upload_2019-6-14_17-7-9.png

6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Member

Religion:
    Methodist
    You have to remember that those languages that you posted are todays equivalent. They have developed to this point. At the year 1000 that are not what they are now and in the year 1500 they were different than they are now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Spanish_language#Spelling
    Just for reference. I have no clue how pronunciation has changed.

7. Jeffg

Jeffg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    And don't forget Romanian, the language of the country Romania. If I remember correctly, and correct me if I am wrong, it's closest to French

8. With_the_scripture

US
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That is true. Romanian is a weird language b/c it has a lot of influence from Slavic as well.