Introduction to Anglican Theology

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by 97lukebewin, Feb 22, 2023.

1. 97lukebewin

97lukebewin New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical
    Hello, I am currently researching Anglicanism as well as the church fathers and traditional Christianity in general.

As a Protestant with a Non-denominational/charismatic background, I am not very familiar with the characteristics of Anglican doctrine.

I understand that Anglicans are a diverse group of believers, but I have a few questions about general stances on certain topics.

1. What are the main stances of Anglicans on Calvinism and the election? (Claims about freewill, predestination, etc)

2. What are general beliefs about Spiritual gifts (gifts of healing, speaking in tongues, words of knowledge, specifically “miraculous” gifts)? Also, are there sects of more charismatic Anglicans?

3. What are Anglican beliefs on salvation? What must a person do to be saved?

4. What are the differences between episcopal and Anglican churches?

5. What is a Anglo-catholic?

6. What is important to know about Anglicanism for someone new to the Anglican Church?

7. What are Anglican beliefs about Apostolic Succession? (Interesting details about the priesthood?)

8. Are there any podcasts or prominent teachers that can help me better understand the tradition?

Thank you for your input. Feel free to answer only one of the questions, just mark with one you are answering by number. I appreciate it!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    1. As I understand it, Anglicanism traditionally has been strongly Calvinistic. I am not, so I shall say no more about this.

3. Anglican beliefs on salvation are very much in line with Protestantism: salvation by grace only, through faith only. However, faith itself is perceived as a gift from God (similar to grace); this falls in line with the Calvinism.

4. It's hard to speak of differences between those two, because there is variation among groups of Anglicans; The Church of England and the Episcopal Church are very close in their current views on such issues as same-sex relationships and church leadership roles for females, while most other Anglican groups tend to be somewhat more conservative/traditional. It's more like a continuum, a number line with a series of points, than a black-or-white contrast, though.

6. Anglican churches tend to have focused on returning to the practices and beliefs of the early (first 500 years A.D.) church and the first few (perhaps 4 or 5) general Councils. They try to maintain a good measure of continuity worldwide in their church services through use of a set liturgy and a prayer book. They believe that the church gradually veered off course and its doctrinal errors became so severe and significant by the middle ages that a restorative course correction became absolutely necessary. Anglicanism observes the Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion as a guiding statement of beliefs which accords with this course correction.

7. It is believed that ordination to ministry requires the laying on of hands by someone in Episcopacy office (a bishop) who has previously been ordained by the same means. In other words, apostolic succession is considered important. Consecration of the Eucharistic elements is only allowed to be performed by a priest (bishops are priests too, of course... once called by God to be a priest, one is always a priest before God).

8. I recommend reading The Heritage of Anglican Theology by J.I. Packer; it will give you a view of the historical underpinnings and development of the Anglican Church. Also, Packer's Concise Theology is a very short book that gives a nice overview of Anglican beliefs. If you want to look into Anglican sacramental theology, I'd suggest John Jewel's Treatise on the Sacraments, available on this site for free (and it won't take long to read).

Caveat: I have only been in the Anglican Church for about 4 years; previously I was in Protestant churches for 25+ years, and in the Roman Catholic Church for 25+ years prior to that, so I have some gaps in my knowledge of Anglicanism. Other members may offer some better answers.

97lukebewin likes this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican

I might write something later but those are a good starting point to the breadth in Anglicanism.

97lukebewin likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    While recently we got fragmented, historically we all had a common body of views, so you are right to ask this.

We accept predestination but don't view Calvin as much of anything. St. Augustine, Aquinas, etc, predestination is a common teaching in Christianity. We also believe in free will, true personal accountability that resides within God's sovereignty.

Nothing historically; a few practice it these days.

We don't view salvation as a 1-step process. No one can think of himself as saved in this life. We rely on the assurance of faith, and seek to live the Christian life of faith, hope and charity, the sacraments, holiness of living, etc.

The Episcopal body was the de-facto American branch of Anglicanism, until most of the world Communion had judged them to have departed from the faith once delivered to the saints.

A 19th c. ritual movement that has influenced some modern Anglican ceremonies. Some of them had also flirted with Roman Catholicism.

Coming from an Evangelical background, I'd say it's important for you to know that Anglicanism is strongly Scripture-centric in our doctrine and worldview.

We believe that bishops must be consecrated by an already-existing bishop (a layman can't create new clergy). This would trace our clergy back directly to Christ and the apostles.

https://anglican.audio/
    Also, watch this, a great intro to our worldview by a 20-something:

Rexlion, Botolph and 97lukebewin like this.
  5. 97lukebewin

97lukebewin New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical
    Also, watch this, a great intro to our worldview by a 20-something:
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you for this video, it was very insightful!

6. CanterburianRoo

CanterburianRoo New Member Anglican

England
    I shan’t speak to the points as other commenters have covered them well, but I suggest some books: Anglicanism: The Thought and Practice of the Church of England, Illustrated from the Religious Literature of the Seventeenth Century. It’s rather good with articles and writings from the Divines and reformers of the 17th C essentially presented as a compiled and detailed catechetical book. It’s quite a tome at 800 pages! Of course, this is classic, Orthodox Anglicanism, there are also some newer books such as What Anglican Believe: An Introduction, and Anglicanism: A Reformed Catholic Tradition - though I can’t personally vouch for the latter 2, as I’ve not read them myself.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  7. CanterburianRoo

CanterburianRoo New Member Anglican

England
    Annoyingly, I neglected to recommend The Catholic Faith by WH Griffith Thomas.

Lowly Layman likes this.