Icon Validity

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by DivineOfficeNerd, Jul 17, 2016.

1. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Hello all. I have a bit of an odd question, are icons which are blessed by a pedophile priest still valid? I'm not generally into omens and whatnot, but when I got one from Christ in the Hills Monastery, I put it on my home altar and my crucifix broke. Its probably unrelated, but I'd enjoy to hear an answer. Thanks.

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    In this case the priests behaviour doesn't negate his priestly powers, marriages, christening etc performed by such a priest is still valid. If a priests sins were to negate the sacraments then there would be no one left to celebrate them

3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    XXVI. Of the Unworthiness of the Ministers, which hinders not the effect of the Sacraments.

Achilles Smith and rakovsky like this.
  4. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    All the same, if you have bad associations with it, if it creeps you out, I wouldn't keep it. That's just my opinion. The only way I could keep something like that is to pray for that person's healing.

5. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Thanks all, I will be keeping the icon for another day.:thumbsup:

6. SirPalomides

SirPalomides Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    It's an old thread, I know, but FYI icons do not need to be blessed, and, per the Seventh Ecumenical Council, should not be blessed. All the blessing they need comes through the image of the figure depicted and his name inscribed on them. This subject comes a lot among the Orthodox because people do often get their icons blessed, and there are rites for it, but the practice is at best superfluous. You can read a fairly exhaustive discussion of this here: https://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org...tradict-the-tradition-of-the-orthodox-church/