I broke my promise to god

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Jeffmurry, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffmurry

Jeffmurry New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I promised god that if my favourite hockey team made it to the finals that i would not masturbate for 20 days and if i did he could send me to hell. It had been like 2 weeks without masturbating but today the urge was just too strong and i did it and now I'm really scared! What should i do to make up for it? any tips would really help thank you!

2. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    1. I strongly doubt God cares about hockey. I suspect He is paying attention to more important affairs than what team makes it to the finals. But, I could be wrong about that.
    2. I suspect if He has any concern about your behavior, it has nothing to do with whether it was 14 days or 20 days. But, I could be wrong about that.
    3. I suspect He knew before you did that things would work out this way. But, I could be wrong about that.
    4. I suggest you seek forgiveness for breaking your vow, and that you work on refraining from trying to bargain with the Holy One with promises you cannot keep.
    Oh...and welcome to the forum!

Robert likes this.
  3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Even if such a blatant troll was not a troll, it's an issue of scrupulosity which is more referable to a psychiatrist than to any brethren in Christ. Hockey team -> masturbation?

At least we've become illustrious enough to earn our first troll! If you're not a troll, please step forward. :)

4. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    If the age listed is correct, it may not be a troll. Jeff, God understands. At 14 your just beginning to deal with strong sexual urges. It's normal. If God sent is to hell for every promise we didn't keep, we would all be in trouble. He understands.

5. Jeffmurry

Jeffmurry New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks guys! and I am not trolling

Remembrance likes this.
  6. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Then trust in God! Masturbation is a touchy subject... but one thing you have to learn is not to make promises based on trivial things like hockey matches! I'm Canadian too, so I can sympathise with loving hockey... but promising God not to sin if He helps your favourite team win is like trying to hold our Lord hostage! Please don't do that, but love God and trust Him to help you, as He loves you. :)

seeking.IAM likes this.
  7. Jeffmurry

Jeffmurry New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks so much for all your help it's really reassuring! :D

nkygreg likes this.
  8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Not here - for a moment I thought we were on the Landover Baptist site..... :)

In other parts of the world we find it quite amusing when we hear about a world series that only consist of teams from North America. What it really tells us is that maybe there is some truth in the rumour that the world is actually flat..... :)

Robert and nkygreg like this.
  9. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    I would rather be fooled than let someone with a sincere question get dumped on.

Jeffmurry and seeking.IAM like this.
  10. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

OP question answered, thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.