Howdy!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Devin Lawson, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Devin Lawson

Devin Lawson Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I'm new here! I am in the REC, and I would definitely style myself as an Anglo-Catholic. I am a convert to Anglicanism from Eastern Orthodoxy (Moscow Patriarchate), and I am getting a degree in History, specifically Church History. I am interested in possibly pursuing a vocation to the Priesthood, and I look forward to posting on AF.

Invictus, bwallac2335 and Shane R like this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome fellow RECer! Are you in the Diocese of the South?

3. Devin Lawson

Devin Lawson Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I am in the Diocese of Mid-America.

Stalwart likes this.
  4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Hi David and welcome.

5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Glad you are here. I am in the Diocese of the South but not the REC diocese of the south. I am a high churchman but not Anglo-Catholic.

Dave Kemp likes this.
  6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm in the diocese of northeast and mid-atlantic.

I'm a traditionalist and therefore unavoidably high church as well.

7. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome. It sounds like some work at Cranmer House is probably in your future.

Devin Lawson likes this.
  8. Devin Lawson

Devin Lawson Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Thank you. I am considering Nashotah House for Seminary. Cranmer House looks good, but I do not believe it provides accredited degrees, just certificates.

9. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have wondered why that is. Reformed Episcopal Seminary and Bishop Cummins Theological Institute are both accredited. But the diocese of Mid-America is very fond of Cranmer House.

10. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    An REC member, another acronym to add to my list and Peteprints additions. Where does it fit into our list.

1. My list.

TEC = EPUSCA=ECUSA The Episcopal Church -more liberal than ACNA and the direct descendant of the pre Revolutionary Anglican Church

ACNA; Anglican Church of North America -Not pro homosexual tolerance.

APA; Anglican province of America -a continuing Anglican church sees itself as traditional

AOC; Anglican Orthodox Church -conservative but "low church"

AEC; American Episcopal Church -a bit more R/Catholic in taste

ACC; Anglican Catholic Church- slighty more RCish than the AEC

ACA; Anglican Church of America views itself as a traditional anglican church

AMIA; Anglican Mission in the Americas -Charismatical. The happy clappies of the Anglican movement

ELCA; Lutheran not anglican
      UCC; Very liberal but not an Anglican church
    and Peteprints additions:

1. These are fairly apt descriptions, but there are a lot more than these.
      UECNA United Episcopal Church of North America
      APCK Anglican Province of Christ the King
      OAC Orthodox Anglican Church (not the same as the Anglican Orthodox Church)
      Diocese of the Holy Cross
      EMC Episcopal Missionary Church
      CEC Charismatic Episcopal Church

the list goes on and on....
    2. -------------------------------------------
    As I've said before, when I joined this forum I thought there was one Anglican church per country, maybe this is true of all countries except The U.S.A.

Sorry about the 1 and 2 on the side it seems to be an artifact of pasteing a bit of Peteprints post

11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Would the PAC (Popular Anglican Church) have only one member, sitting on his own, like the PPF (Popular Palastine Front) in Monty Python's 'Life of Brian'? :laugh:

12. Devin Lawson

Devin Lawson Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic

REC started in the 1880s when Bishop Cummins, a Low Churchman, celebrated Holy Communion with a Presbyterian. The Anglo-Catholic bishops were scandalized and Cummins decided TEC did not have a place for Low Churchman anymore, so he formed REC. From then, it continued more or less as a LC alternative to TEC in the land, until the 80s. From what I hear, it was on it's last legs, until new blood came in they welcomed High Churchmen and even Anglo-Catholics into the fold. (what mighty fine timing considering TEC's "issues" during the time), and since then it has been increasing in Churchmanship from no vestments to surplices and tippets, to Copes/Chasubles and Incense.

We are founding members of the ACNA, but we have kept our Canon Law, Clergy rosters, Seminaries, and Diocesan Structures. We are also in full Communion with the ACA and the APA. This is primarily due to the fact that REC does not permit women's ordination nor license female "priests" to serve in the Dioceses.

You'll find old Low Churchman using the 1662 style Liturgy with little to no ceremony, and you'll find parishes like mine with Copes, Chasubles, incense at each mass, chanting, icons, the whole "9-yards."

I'll let you decide where exactly it goes on the list, I guess much like Anglicanism, it depends on who you ask.

13. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
  14. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    No. We Americans have quite effectively spread our bad habit of being factional to other places. Most South American countries with Anglican churches have 4-5. The UK has at least half a dozen splinter churches. There are 3-4 in Canada. Africa is messy; all of the Continuing churches have pockets of African churches. Even your own New Zealand has a little upstart from GAFCON now.

15. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I googled it and yes wikipedia says it has 17 parishes. I'm not convinced it is that big as it has passed completely under my radar not that I'm New Zealand's leading expert on the Anglican situation here. It also seems to be centered in Christchurch , an island and 500 kms away from me.

But I still don't know what REC stands for?

16. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    It may admittedly be a personal overreaction to current events but I have recently decided to avoid association with any organisation which includes the consecutive letters C-O-N anywhere in it's name. This of course includes 'Conmen's delivery Service', the 'Conservative Party' and Confidence tricksters who ring me up and tell me I will be immediately jailed by the Inland Revenue if I don't press '1' on my phone. :laugh: :biglaugh:

17. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Reformed Episcopal Church

AnglicanAgnostic likes this.
  18. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I guess we should not congratulate you. :halo:
    If you're avoiding all C-O-N things, how did you manage to conflate such disparate and contradictory things? :rolleyes: Not that I am terribly concerned... :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Tiffy likes this.
  19. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Concern for such trivialities would be inconsequential, therefore unnecessary. :laugh:

I am still keeping my usual sign off though. That contains eternal truth, is unchangingly constant and had everlasting consequences for us all. One might even say "Love covers a conglomeration of sins", and it would still be true.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  20. Cooper

Cooper Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Welcome.

Devin Lawson likes this.