How to approach the Blessed Virgin Mary

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Articles of Religion:

XXII.
    Of Purgatory.
    THe Romish Doctrine concerning Purgatory, Pardons, Worshipping and Adoration, as well of Images, as of Reliques; and also Invocation of Saints, is a fond thing, vainly invented, & grounded upon no Warranty of Scripture, but rather Repugnant to the Word of God.

2. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Now in French:

Je vous salue, Marie pleine de grâce ;
    le Seigneur est avec vous.
    Vous êtes bénie entre toutes les femmes
    et Jésus,
    le fruit de vos entrailles, est béni.
    Sainte Marie, Mère de Dieu,
    priez pour nous pauvres pécheurs,
    maintenant et à l’heure de notre mort.

And now in German:

Gegrüßet seist du, Maria, voll der Gnade,
    der Herr ist mit dir.
    Du bist gebenedeit unter den Frauen,
    und gebenedeit ist die Frucht deines Leibes, Jesus.
    Heilige Maria, Mutter Gottes,
    bitte für uns Sünder
    jetzt und in der Stunde unseres Todes.

Invictus likes this.
  3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    XXII : The Romish Doctrine concerning Purgatory, Pardons, Worshipping and Adoration, as well of images as of Reliques, and also invocation of saints, is a fond thing vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of scripture, but rather repugnant to the Word of God.

39 Articles of Religion of the Anglican Church.

Othniel likes this.
  4. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

And who wrote those articles? :)

5. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Convocation of 1563. Essentially the 2o Bishops of England and a bunch of deans, archdeacons and elected clergy. They are the foundational documents of the Anglican faith.

Othniel likes this.
  6. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    To approach as a transitive verb can mean the way one thinks about, ponders on, etc. something.

Othniel likes this.
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Since we have a right to "come boldly to the throne of grace" and speak directly with Jesus who forever lives to intercede for us as our high priest, I do not feel any urge, need, or desire to pray to Mary or to ponder about her. To God be all the glory. Jesus is the one who is deserving of all our attention.

8. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I know all that! :)
    But a friendly "Ave Maria!" now and then cannot be amiss. :)

9. Othniel

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
    The Collect.

WE beseech thee, O Lord, pour thy grace into our hearts; that, as we have known the incarnation of thy Son Jesus Christ by the message of an angel, so by his cross and passion we may be brought unto the glory of his resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For the Epistle. Isaiah 7. 10.

MOREOVER, the Lord spake again unto Ahaz, saying, Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord. And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also? Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

The Gospel. St. Luke 1. 26.
    AND in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren. For with God nothing shall be impossible. And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Dave Kemp likes this.
  10. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Verily, verily, I say unto thee: I love that kind of English!
    Dost thou love it, too?
    Then go forth and do likewise! :)

Invictus likes this.
  11. Othniel

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    For someone who perceives simple answers as insults, you sure appear to enjoy mocking others and the foundational doctrines and documents of this forum.

Dave Kemp and Stalwart like this.
  12. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I detected no such mockery in the quotation.

Silvan likes this.
  13. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    OMG!
    Mockery was the last of my intentions.
    It is like this: I like languages.
    And I like playing with words and different styles of languages.
    Be sure that I won't ever do it again in with any posting of yours.

Stalwart likes this.
  14. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Neither did I! :)

15. Othniel

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    The wilful ignorance of resources provided on this very site, or directly referenced across the forum and hosted works, in this thread alone, let alone others, has been less than honest or charitable.

directly in reference to the relevant feast-day collect to the thread at large, and to the prior posts, has no true connection than to mock the language of the Prayer-book.
    That is to say nothing of other threads.

16. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    You're free to take it that way if you wish. I didn't take it that way.

17. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I do hope that some innocent linguistic humour is allowed here. :)

Invictus likes this.
  18. The Repping Rev

The Repping Rev New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (UECNA)
    By the same notion an "ave Maria!" can also not provide any benefit.

It is one thing to play with words, it is another to intend purposes outside the purview of Scriptural allowances and in direct conflict with your confessions. Yet, such is often the Anglican way, to lift up Romanism and downplay one's own supposed theological groundings. These aren't new arguments, they certainly aren't going anywhere, and with hundreds of years of evidenced presuppositions based on linguistical applications, maybe you should be a bit wiser with how you speak of the things of the church. Creeds, confessions, councils, synods, all the same, had pertinent and specific verbiage, carefully applied and proffered. So as to not get caught up in "playing with words and different styles of languages".

I don't mean to seem harsh are obtuse but there are things of a serious nature that purposeful play and joking just shouldn't touch.

Ah, I see your profile says Catholic, makes more sense now. Hence why you aren't upholding the distinctives and doctrines of the Anglican church.

Dave Kemp likes this.
  19. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm not sure if Silvan upholds the doctrines of the Roman Church either. I always thought that the Romans believed in original sin as well. There are a number of ex-Romanists one often finds on Reddit or elsewhere that flee to Anglicanism because they think it is less "strict" on issues such as sodomy, salvation, abortion, and many social issues. They don't really care all that much about the Anglican expression of Christianity (traditionally), the creeds, councils, 39 articles, or even the BCP. But as long as Anglicans don't tell them sin is bad, they're all in!

Dave Kemp likes this.
  20. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I am not after any benefit or profit.