How did ending racial discrimination affect white& black marriages in the Church?

Discussion in 'Church History' started by BrethrenBoy, Jun 27, 2013.

1. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    (This question isn't really about Anglicanism history but Christianity history in general. I hope it is in the right place.) What affect did the end of racial discrimination and acceptance of inter-racial marriage have on traditionally all white churches in the South after the Civil Rights movement?

2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    from what i know there were integrated churches all the way back into the 1700s. I think the civil war era saw an increase in racial motivations for the first time

3. Stephanos

Stephanos New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Texas
    There still is a pretty strong separation in Texas between whites and blacks in the church. My experience though limited seems to be that majority white churches don't favor integration very well as do majority black churches, not because of skin color but because of cultural differences. The same goes for Hispanic churches as well.

4. Cable

Cable New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I've spent some time in Florida (but I'll defer to anyone who is actually from there). From what I've observed, many churches are still separated by culture. At the same time, many pastors are interested in reaching their entire community - not just a lone demographic within it. That is true of many congregations, also. It seems like a lot of people wish that the churches were more diverse than they are. Any lack of diversity is probably based on a church's physical location or its place within the community. Also, the "church hopping" phenomenon might cause people to gravitate toward churches that feel more culturally familiar. Differences in preaching styles/tradition, musical tradition, outreach programs, and community involvement - things like these might contribute to the lack of visible integration. So it's not that people still desire segregation at all. Instead, they just go to the place that meets their needs and feels comfortable or convenient.

Stephanos likes this.
  5. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We never had racial segregation (at least in theory) in England, but I've heard tell that the West Indian immigrants in the 1950s often felt unwelcome in churches so set their own up. The church I attend is in an overwhelmingly white town, but we have a young mixed couple from the local (public) housing estate who have joined us recently. This is perceived to be a great event for us, and certainly they are welcomed.

Times change, I'm glad to say. We want to be as inclusive as possible.

Lux Christi likes this.