Here and Elsewhere

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by seagull, Aug 21, 2013.

1. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I've only been here a few days, but it seems a very comfortable forum. I used to be in the BBC so-called "Christian Topic" forum, now mercifully disbanded. It had too many atheists, pushing their own agenda (most of them aggressive and often poorly educated). There were a few hard line creationists, all but one semi-literate, and two RC converts, who were defensive. The other RCs, including a priest, were impressive.

In view of that, after that forum closed, I went to a RC forum, but they made it clear they didn't like Anglicans. It was odd, after finally logging off from that forum,I went to midweek eucharist at my local CofE church, and felt so much at home, so welcome as always.

Is there a safe Anglican (or Christian) chat room anyone can recommend?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    I do not know any Anglican or Christian chatroom, but I do heartily welcome you again on these forums. We do have plenty of conservatives here, and I am a liberal who sticks out like a sore thumb! It is difficult, really, to find good Anglican forums out there, but I reckon that they do exist.

Good luck in your search, hun!
    God bless.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I looked at Ship of Fools and saw various names I've come across elsewhere (including that of a humanist tap dancer!). These people come with an anti-religious fervour, which is fair enough, and closed minds, which is not. They don't help my blood pressure.

Having a closed mind is scarcely an Anglican characteristic.;)

4. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    I am not sure of what you are talking about. I frequent the forums regularly for information and opinion, particularly in Ecclesiantics, such as this thread: http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=007886 since many of us at my parish do bow at the Gloria Patri, and at the name of Jesus. When I visit other Anglican parishes, often they look with interest or horror when I do such things.

Not all are anti-religious, and many of the religionists on the forum have very intriguing things to contribute to discussion. Many of them are also quite intelligent and are queer friendly, which is something I do appreciate. AND it is one of the few places where anglo-catholic doctrine is discussed in a living manner. My parish is the only one in the diocese that is anglo-catholic, and it certainly gets kind of lonely to not have those of the same churchmanship! ;)