Hello From a Convert!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by MiraKoonin, Aug 2, 2013.

1. MiraKoonin

MiraKoonin New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian Christian
    I'm a 24 year old woman from Illinois. I was born and raised Jewish, but have always felt a special connection to Christ, the Virgin Mary, and God. When I was 18, I went through a very rough period of depression. Then suddenly, I had a revelation, and knew I was Christian. I prayed, and I immediately felt better...more at peace. Although I'm definitely not always at peace even now, (I do have my issues, including bipolar disorder) I do know in my heart that I follow God, and even if I am disconnected, I try to get back in touch with Him.

Initially I would have considered myself Catholic, but I'm quite Liberal, am pro-choice (although I personally would not choose to have an abortion if it came to it), and I'm LGBT, so I turned to the Episcopalian denomination. I find that Anglicans and Episcopalians as a whole are far more accepting. :)

I have yet to be baptized. I do plan to be eventually, but first I have to find a church that I'm most comfortable at. Also, considering that there are...let's say financial troubles involving the house and my family and I have to move, I'd need to make sure that the church I attended was local, of course.

I joined here to learn more about Christianity and to talk about God! :)

That said, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I hope I'll be accepted here!

~Mira

seagull, Lux Christi and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    Hi. I'm here to learn as well, though in my case it's mare about Anglicanism in general. I think I should forewarn you, if you haven't noticed already the Episcopal Church's positions on some of the more controversial issues you mentioned are far from unanimous within all of Anglicanism, and you will find several here who disagree with you on these things. I hope and pray you will still feel welcomed and accepted.

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I am glad you have joined us. I hope God will bless you time here and that you will be a blessing to the rest of us as well. BrethrenBoy is right, many if not most here are very traditional in our understanding of Anglicanism. But I for one look forward to discussing some of the more controversial issues as well as the more mundane ones. We'll have a lot to learn from one another ans from the rich treasure that is our common church.

I hope you have a joyous baptism.

4. Cable

Cable New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not sure if you'll see this, but I want to say it anyway. One of the most tragic aspects of contemporary Anglicanism, in my opinion, is the factional impasse that so easily occurs. Both fellowship and even basic communication are more challenging than ever before. And I hope that anyone else who reads this doesn't read too much into what I'm saying. We are all aware of who the factions are, why they exist, who did what to whom, and so forth. And we should hold to our convictions. But I hope that here, in a forum of discussion, we who are all Anglicans can actually speak and listen to one another - setting a charitable example for others.

Lux Christi and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. Kammi

Kammi Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome Mira. I'm so glad you're here. One of the things I like most about the Anglican Church is that generally, we are very accepting of one another. I'm a high Anglican who attends a very low Anglican Parish and they accept me.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Welcome, Mira! And good luck with developing your relationship with Christ. I recommend visiting the local Anglican or Episcopalian parish near you to learn more. Also, praying the Rosary can help you develop your love for Christ and the Mysteries of His Birth, Life, Death and Resurrection (through the eyes of His Blessed Mother; ad Jesum per Mariam). She will always help us love her Son, and she is the help of all Christians. :)

If the Rosary is too much, then if you recite the Angelus once a day (traditionally it is said thrice: morning [generally at 9am], noonday [12pm], and evening [6pm]), you will receive many blessings from Mother Mary, and she will help you love Christ even more. This is in traditional language.

THE ANGELUS

The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary,
    And she conceived by the Holy Spirit.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
    Blessed art thou among women,
    and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
    now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Behold the handmaid of the Lord:
    Be it unto me according to thy Word.

Blessed art thou amongst women,

*bow* And the Word was made flesh:
    *rise* And dwelt among us.

Blessed art thou amongst women,

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God:
    That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray:
    We beseech thee, O Lord, pour thy grace into our hearts, that as we have known the incarnation of thy Son Jesus Christ by the message of an angel, so by his + Cross and Passion we may be brought unto the glory of his resurrection; through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

I have a dear friend who has Bipolar Schizo-affective Disorder. She is one of my dearest and most precious girl friends I know!

Lowly Layman likes this.