Hello! Exploring the Anglican Church here.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Paladin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Paladin

Paladin New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Baptist
    I am fortunate enough to have an Anglican family member who underwent a journey from close to where I am now into the Anglican Church. Unfortunately, he does not live nearby. I use him as a resource, but aside from asking him 20 questions each time we chat on Facebook, I assumed that I would branch out and learn on my own.

To briefly cover my background, it is Protestant. I grew up as a child in a traditional [SBC] Baptist church. We then moved and I attended a local UMC throughout my highschool and some college years. I stayed somewhat involved in BCM in college, and then I began attending my now wife's SBC-affiliated church where I am involved in a volunteer role.

I will admit that I fit the bill, for a long time, of your traditional anti-traditionalist. However, having been immersed in the Baptist side, the doctrinal variance is something that I find quite frustrating. My understanding of communion began to evolve recently and I see much wisdom in the early church fathers.

I am exploring what Anglicanism means from an intellectual and faith standpoint. I also discovered the presence of a local Anglican church that I was not aware of in my town.

So, nice to meet ya'll. :)

Toma and Scottish Monk like this.
  2. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Welcome! Your background is similar to others who hang out on this forum.

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Paladin, you are most welcome here.

The first and foundational tenets of Anglicanism are in the Nicene, Apostles', and Athanasian Creed. You will discover our ancient episcopal Christian faith. Apostolic succession, tradition, reason, and philosophy are highly prized, but none so much as the Holy Scriptures delivered to us by our divine Master.

I like to think of Anglicanism as very balanced, and thus in high conformity to our Lord & Saviour. It is Episcopal, without being Roman Catholic, traditional without being Eastern Orthodox, and Scriptural without the excesses of Puritans.

Old Christendom likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Glad you could join us Paladin :)

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  5. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Welcome aboard! As someone else from a baptist background you may be interested in early baptist views of communion, which was more similar to Anglican and presbyterian beliefs than is commonly seen today.

Stalwart and Scottish Monk like this.
  6. Incense

Incense Active Member

Hello Paladin, your usename remind me of chocolate because near my house there is a chocolate factory called Paladin :cool:
    Hope you will enjoy it here and find it useful!

7. Paladin

Paladin New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Baptist
    Thank you all very much for the welcome! I probably should amend my first post and find something a little less high-sounding when it comes to "intellectual," but the gist of my comment was that I long for a faith where reason (for faith) can be provided; sometimes the Baptist scene dives too deeply into the the "Bible says it's so, so it's so." While that is ultimately true of faith, obviously there is a tiny bit of ambiguity there since we have this whole denominational and Reformation thingy. ;)

I started out learning about the Eastern Orthodox Church, but there are just some aspects with the ancient faith that I don't feel correlate with the Bible. I will never probably swim the Tiber, for that matter. I am drawn to Anglicanism as the via media. I felt drawn to Reformed theology, but my frustration there - aside from the stereotype which is sometimes true - was the incessance on double predestination (not only of the hyper-Calvinists). I was drawn to the concept of synergism of the EO Church, but I still think true Reformed theology does describe the responsibility of man to act, yet that God is sovereign. I happen to think there is a happy balance there that we might not have the perfect words to express.

Unfortunately, I struggle with the lack of studying and focus on the early church fathers found within many appealing Protestant traditions.

I want to emphasize that I am in the baby steps of searching. I have yet to attend, but from what I've read and listened to, I may take steps in that direction sometime soon. Hopefully, it's okay if I lurk here and share with ya'll!

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  8. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
  9. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A lot of strength is required for this undertaking, Paladin, if you want to look seriously as I did. The Anglican Church may look messy at times, but we have the strength of ages. The Lord has been kind and merciful, even in the darkest hours. Sometimes you'll have to feel like a desert-island, or like a behemoth standing almost alone. You're never alone though!

I will pray for you, that your character can stand up to the name you've chosen on Anglican Forums. :)

10. Pirate

Pirate Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome to the party!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  11. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    All great reasons paladin! Many of us have traveled a similar route ourselves.

Love your points on synergism and the church fathers, my favorite topics.

12. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Lots of stuff online about the Church Fathers. Just google "church fathers" and start with the wikipedia article, which has some excellent links.

Toma likes this.
  13. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Following Scottish Monk, I want to recommend bookmarking or saving this page:

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html

It is an archive and index of all the greatest Fathers, translated into English. Refer to this in your studies if you wish. It is what brought me to Anglicanism.

14. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian

Welcome, Paladin!

I also have a diverse denominational background; I grew up Southern Baptist and have been a member in the UMC and the Episcopal Church. I have also been an "informal" member of the Quakers and a Charismatic church. I have attended many more.

About the Baptists, you said, "the doctrinal variance is something that I find quite frustrating." Be prepared for even more of that in Anglicanism. Actually, that's what attracts me to it; I don't fit into any camp, but my views come from all of them. Considering that, I knew I needed a denomination that was comprehensive in doctrine, one that could encompass a wide diversity of belief.

Glad you are here!

15. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Welcome to the forum, Paladin!

We're all a happy bunch here.