Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ide, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. I've been a lurker for sometime and have decided to step out and join!

I'm currently on a spiritual journey to learn more about myself and about Christ. I started attending TEC parish 6 months ago, but have visited an ACNA church as well. I have also visited Orthodox churches as well, but have felt an outsider due to the ethnic makeup.

While I have enjoyed my time at TEC, I am concerned with the issues it currently faces. It seems overwhelming to try and make sense of it.

I would consider myself high-church and have come to know Christ through the Eucharist.

I did not grow up in the church, so I'm facing a mountain of information to sort through. I have a lot of questions still and look forward to learning from everyone.

2. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome, Ide! I pray you find what you're looking for. You are most welcome here.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Hello and welcome! I've been here all of, what, a week maybe and it's been a blessing. I pray it is for you, too.

4. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the welcome! I'm sure I will learn much from everyone here.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Welcome Ide!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Ide! May God richly bless your time here. Im a TECer too (though not very happy with the current state of things). I hope we can inspire you to keep on the Anglican path my friend.

If you havent already read it, may I recommend CS Lewis' Mere Christianity. it was by far the best resource as i returned to my faith as an adult.

Ide and Peteprint like this.
  7. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I second that! Mere Christianity is the one book I would recommend if I only had one choice.

Lowly Layman and Anne like this.
  8. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Till We Have Faces is the one I think that has to be read after Mere Christianity -- or wait maybe I just mean everything Lewis...

Lowly Layman and Peteprint like this.
  9. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Thank you for the book recommendation! I will have to check out C.S. Lewis.

Thank you, Lowly Layman, for the encouragement. I'll admit that I am struggling to make my way on the Christian path. This stems from leaving my current faith tradition which I have been deeply involved for some time. But, I've felt a healing and a calling from God that I can't ignore anymore. It is a challenging but exciting time.

The current church I'm with has fantastic priests whose preaching is excellent. I've not run into many issues facing TEC here, it's been fairly traditional. However, I do feel a little out of place by wanting to follow some Anglo Catholic traditions which do not seem to fit in. It's hard as a newcomer to navigate all the intricacies of a tradition and still make a place for myself.

Lowly Layman, Anne and Peteprint like this.
  10. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I really think that for Christians of this century -- well, and non-Christians -- that if you want to understand Anglicanism you have to read C. S. Lewis. That's a staggering thought.

11. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    I would say check out Jewel's Apology for the Church of England.

Lewis doesn't give a moral impetus for why Anglicanism is a separate communion (not very strongly at least). Bishop Jewel explain why.

12. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Very good. And I was speaking broadly :)

Lowly Layman likes this.
  13. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Thank you for the book recommendation, Spherelink! That sounds like it will be a helpful book.

After I saw the suggestions for Lewis' book, I went to the library to grab a copy (I had seen maybe 3 versions there before) and they were all checked out! Maybe other people were reading this thread too ;)

14. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    Welcome Ide. I'm glad you found us.

Lowly Layman likes this.