Hans Küng has died

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by AnglicanAgnostic, Apr 13, 2021.

1. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Hans Küng has died, arguably the most famous living theologian. He was a Roman Catholic and caused quite a stir with his teachings, especially against Papal infallability. For this he was refused his license to teach theology at Tubingen University which by an historical accident was run by the RC church. The University then created a new theology post at the university and he continued to teach there. I'm not sure of the details but Kungs actions brought him to the notice of Cardinal Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI ) who was the Prefect for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. ( arch inquisitor and Vatican heavy ) . Nothing really happened maybe because Küng and Ratzinger had know each other forever and Kung got Ratzinger his first job.

I have three of Küngs books but I find them a bit heavy and philisophical. Philosophy and intellectual concepts are thing I have trouble comprehending.

Küng was controvercial but never shied away from it and seemed to revel in it.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have read several of Kung's books and I believe he will have an impact on the life of the Church for many years yet. His sacramental theology was indeed nearly Anglican.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

May he rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon him.

Botolph likes this.