Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Joshua119, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Hello everyone,

I am a convert from atheism to Christianity. I bounced around through Evangelical and Roman churches for a few years until I discovered the "third way" recently.
    I identify primarily with the beliefs and practices of the Anglican Catholic Church, but there are no parishes near me, so I attend an Episcopalian high church.

Religion is still a fairly new addition to my life, so I am hopeful that a community like this will help me learn about the faith and support my desire to believe.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome on the way

Joshua119 likes this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Joshua! May God richly bless your time here...

May I ask, what about the Anglican Catholic Church appeals to you?

@highchurchman is a clergy member of the ACC in England I believe. He has a lot of wisdom to offer if you're interested in his take on it.

Joshua119 likes this.
  4. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    :) I am open to all wisdom.

For me a lot of the appeal is in the liturgy both in and out of Sunday services. The structure and daily prayers help me to feel close to God, especially when my atheist background tries to sneak in. I know that low church theology works for many people, and I don't think that there is anything wrong with that, but I feel that I need the high church structure.

Also, I believe in many teachings that are traditionally "catholic" (guardian angels, the communion of saints, etc.), but I believe that the democratic structure of the ACC and all Anglicanism is more in tune with the example set by Christ and his disciples. I spent about a year in the Roman church, and enjoyed a lot of it, but I found that far too much is directed towards the Pope. Even though he is considered fallible in most regards, a vast majority of RCs treat the office as though the man were Christ himself, and I disagree with any level of worship directed towards a human.

So I find that the ACC contains what I believe to be the truth, and rejects the things that I reject. Also, I am a lifelong Anglophile. I love anything related to British culture, so a church that teaches what I believe to be the truth, and is British in origin, is almost to good to be true.

Thank you for the welcome.

Lowly Layman, Mark and anglican74 like this.
  5. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Joshua,

Welcome. If I may ask, what State do you live in? There are other Anglican Jurisdictions that are High Church like the ACC. The APA springs to mind.
    And APCK.

Many, like I did at one time, thought to be Catholic one had to be Roman Catholic. Four years in a Roman Parish enlightened me greatly.

Blessings,

Fr. Mark

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Hi Fr. Mark, thank you for the welcome.

I live in a suburb of Atlanta, Ga. called Roswell. There are two ACC churches within the metro-Atlanta area, but they are both quite far from me. I was not previously aware of the APA or APCK, which is exactly why I came here, because I know that there is still much for me to learn. I currently attend an Episcopal High Church, which is pretty nice, but obviously not quite as conservative as a more Catholic church might be.

I have a great deal of respect for the Roman Church, and I try not to say anything bad about them, but, as you say, there are other options for Catholics. I have no problem with RC theology, but I had a lot of issues with the administrative aspects of the church, which I feel to be far to authoritarian and Imperial.

I am, thus far, very happy with the "third way".

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
  8. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Thank you for the suggestions Fr. Mark. The APA has one that I've actually driven by before, but I never knew what it was. I shall have to make a stop by on sunday.

Lowly Layman likes this.