general comment

Discussion in '2022 General Discussion' started by CRfromQld, Jun 19, 2022.

1. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I received this from a member of my parish. I would be interested to hear your comments.

Hi Chris
    I have read through the Synod motions, not word for word, but I notice a pattern of confirming various motions that went through General synod. I wonder why these matter are covered but there is no mention of the decline in Parrish numbers, closing of parishes and a plan for the future to fund the diocese. Is synod just a platform for activists to exercise their power and we the church congregations continue to fund this activity. That’s my very cynical view.
    I did see the motion about selling off church property which we can never buy back but why would there be a need if no one uses the property.

Just what is our core business - property and empire building, platform for protest or sharing the good news of Gods love and grace. ​

Graeme Smyth likes this.
  2. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Indeed there is a preponderance of motions moved by clergy; 15 of the 16 motions on notice. Of these Peter Catt has a hand in 9. So this is very much a Catt and Co Synod.

While many parish priests are run ragged keeping up with Diocese paperwork and parish duties there appear to be some who have the luxury of using their church funded position to be activists generally and within Synod.

However the Diocese does offer substantial support to lay members who want to present a motion to synod. When my wife was considering one last year on the age limitation cannon they offered advice and help in drafting the motion so that it would be correctly worded to address the issue she was concerned about.

One problem is that the lay synod members do not have a continuing organisational structure for communication and discussion between synods. My hope is that this forum will help fill that gap.

3. Roger Henderson

Roger Henderson New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Morning Chris , I woulD have to agree with you ; there seems to be a lot of motion s to where they are going . No much in growing the church .

4. Graeme Smyth

Graeme Smyth New Member

Chris - I think you raise some excellent points and I'd encourage you to submit these to the Archbishop either as formal questions under SO C.13 or informal questions in the lay conference.
    I've already submitted a couple questions - would be good to get more questions/questioners in the mix