Francis Chan, Evangelical Pastor, Faces Backlash After Preaching on the Real Presence

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by bwallac2335, Jan 12, 2020.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Active Member

Religion:
    Methodist
    JoeLaughon likes this.
  2. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Thus far, the reviews of I've read of his sermon indicate that what he's saying is pretty basic - almost simplistic - as if he's been listening to Catholic Answers or some other Roman apologist, and has just had a major doctrinal break-through moment. Such moments are very exciting, and, like seminarians going through their own exciting learning moments, one has a tendency to shout out the amazing news of this great discovery well before one is adequately prepared to teach it. Believing in the "real presence" at Holy Communion means many different things, from Rome's transubstantiation to Calvin's spiritual presence and everything in between, and it's going to take a while for Chan to parse things out - if he does ever get around to interacting with any theologians of calibre.

So, although this is an exciting paradigm shift to see him undergo, he's still got a long road ahead of him for the dust to settle. Hopefully his history of big-box evangelicalism with pentecostal excesses doesn't lead him to swing wildly into the opposite uncritical extreme of Romanism.

Shane R and Rexlion like this.
  3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Active Member

Religion:
    Methodist
    What is the Anglican official teaching on the Real Presence? I hope he ends up in Anglicanism or Orthodoxy

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The Prayerbook liturgy of Holy Communion, and Article 28 are excellent summaries of the anglican and patristic doctrine of the Sacrament

I do hope Francis Chan returns back to the roots of Christian doctrine of the Eucharist, as captured in Anglicanism

Rexlion likes this.