Floridian ex-Fundie, ex-atheist, future Anglican

Discussion in 'New Members' started by DixieDriver, Jan 11, 2022.

1. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Hello! Just discovered this forum and I love it! So many smart people and interesting discussions.

Okay so quick background on me: I was raised Baptist/Non-denominational, in high school I moved in a strong fundamentalist direction alone, my family stayed normal. I became KJV only (it’s still my favorite translation), rapture obsessed, rock music hating, etc. I also wore a head covering to church and during private prayer (an admirable practice but one I no longer follow).

When I was a about 20 years old (2015 I think) I took a hard dive into atheism because I found what I perceived to be a contradiction in the Bible and my view of inspiration couldn’t handle that. Oscillated for the next 5 years between atheism and paganism, all while obsessively studying Christianity in the greater Catholic tradition, and visiting churches sporadically (spent one solid year attending a PCA church).

Then around 2020 I moved cities and started visiting local churches (always a fun hobby really), and found this wonderful little Anglican Catholic Church, maybe 10 people in all on a good day, that uses the 1928 BCP. I was awestruck. It was the most beautiful service I’d ever seen (and I’ve attended high Latin masses). Also around this time I read David Bentley Hart’s book on universalism, and that actually brought me solidly back to belief in God, which I’m so grateful for.

Well I bounced back and forth between that church and a Greek Orthodox Church for the next year or so, and since moving cities again and having no good Anglican churches near by I’ve been attending an Lutheran (LCMS) church and visiting the little Anglican Church when I can.

Yesterday, after months of struggling between different Christian traditions, I texted that Anglican priest and told him I want to be confirmed in the Anglican Catholic Church (I’m already baptized).

so yeah! That’s where I’m at. Nervous as all get out but also excited! I’ve never received the Eucharist before so I’m looking forward to finally being able to once I’m confirmed.

Erasmus, LJJW, Shane R and 2 others like this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    welcome! what a journey, I was blessed to read it

DixieDriver likes this.
  3. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Thanks! I'm so tired of being denominationally homeless. Can't wait to officially be part of a church family :)

anglican74 likes this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    :signwelcome: I'm really glad you responded to the Lord's tugging and returned to faith. And that you (presumably) came to a healthier understanding of the Bible's inspiration than the one that led to you falling away.

DixieDriver likes this.
  5. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    It's been a very tumultuous few years, with lots of tugging in multiple directions. But every time I walked away from Christianity, I mourned losing Jesus Himself. Bible contradictions, genuine or not, aren't worth walking away from Him. He's the true Word of God, not a leather bound book.

Clayton and Rexlion like this.
  6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Glad you are here.

DixieDriver likes this.
  7. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Thanks! Happy to be here :)

8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Amen to that. Our Lord has to lead some of us along winding roads circuitously, as we often are attracted to "bright, shiny" ideas lying in the ditches and neighboring fields. :)

DixieDriver likes this.
  9. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Welcome. There is much to learn here. I am older, seven-decades worth, and have taken many different steps along my Path of Life. I have wound up in an Anglican Catholic Parish that is quite small, but in direct contact with the Archbishop and Metropolitan. He visits us often. I am blessed to have found this step along my Path. Open your heart and mind and you will be taken on the Path you need to be. Again, welcome.

DixieDriver likes this.
  10. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    I’ve yet to find a traditional Anglican parish that isn’t small lol, though I’m sure they exist. I enjoy the close knit community it fosters though, particularly when the priest cooks and the fewer the people the more pie we each get to eat I’m so relieved to have found my way back into Christianity. It was a tough time for a while.

Stalwart likes this.
  11. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the Anglican Communion.

I belong to the traditional, Catholic wing of Anglicanism and I'm very pleased it has what has brought you to Anglicanism.

I hope you feel at home here and find peace in your heart.

DixieDriver likes this.
  12. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Thank you! I've already gained so much peace just from making the decision to finally "land" and join the Anglican communion. I'm sure it will only get better as I progress further in :)

13. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I am unsure of where you currently reside, but there are parishes of all sizes within the G3 of Anglicanism in the USA. I write of that, as our parish is a part of it. Look at their website or Facebook pages and you will find their locations.

14. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    I live in north central Florida, and the closest traditional Anglican parish to me is in Tallahassee, a 2 hour drive. I plan on attending there once a month and on the rest of my Sundays attending (but not communing) at a local Lutheran (LCMS) church here. I consider myself lucky to have a parish only 2 hours away honestly. Some people have nothing near them at all.

anglican74 likes this.
  15. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    does the map finder here yield any closer results? https://anglicanchurch.net/find-a-congregation/

16. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I've got a deacon in Ocala who has been trying to launch a mission for a while. There is also an APA parish in Ocala and a cathedral somewhat North of Orlando.

17. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Nah, like I said the closest traditional Anglican parish to me is 2 hours away, and I’ve accepted that. I really love the priest there so it’s nice that I get to go there monthly.

anglican74 likes this.
  18. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Much further away from me unfortunately :( but it’s alright, a 2 hour drive isn’t terrible once a month.

19. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Traditional and classical is the way to go!

Br. Thomas and DixieDriver like this.
  20. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Is the two-hour-drive-away parish your nearest Anglican parish or is it the nearest one you are prepared to attend?