Fear of certain denominations

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by BibleHoarder, May 2, 2019.

1. BibleHoarder

BibleHoarder Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian (Protestant)
    Is it wrong for me out of conscience to avoid voluntary communion or interaction with people from certain denominations considered to be Christian? I know some groups I agree with who generally engage with certain groups that I disagree with strongly or feel are dangerous to my soul or spiritual health. There's often the nagging guilt saying I should 'be nice and be in communion with all Christians', and others saying 'you need to stay away from these people because you will not be able to reconcile your differences with them kindly'. What should I do?

2. Magistos

Magistos Moderator Staff Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    A few questions.
    Why can you not interact with them without discussing religious differences?
    If you cannot do so, or choose not to, then why not try to passively avoid them? Failing that, then, why not simply be polite to them? If they are not polite to you, then of course, you have leave to excuse yourself.

This is the route I take with certain denominations, and even factions within Anglicanism.

I believe that you may be over thinking things.

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Active Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    You don't necessarily have to feel obliged to put their denominational errors right in order to be on speaking terms with them. What is the problem? Do they burn their children to Moloch or set fire to crosses on your lawn?

4. BibleHoarder

USA
    Religion:
    Christian (Protestant)
    To be specific, I am really scared of Roman Catholics and Calvinists. But, I am also terrified of atheists and annoyed by neo-pagans/wiccans. I find my stomach churning and my nerves being tested by those groups.

5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    You can love somebody but you don't have to love to be around them

6. Edmundia

Edmundia New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    Don't be scared of Roman Catholics : the modern "mainstream" ones will certainly NOT be out to "get you"; they are just too full of luv and nicenesss and sweetness to want to disturb anyone ; the Traditional catholics are the scary ones and they [WE] will be out to get you and why not ?
    Any religion worth its salt should believe in itself enough to offer its beliefs to others.

7. BibleHoarder

USA
    Religion:
    Christian (Protestant)
    No, I have been 'evangelized' by RCs. The only problem is that nearly every RC 'evangelist' I've met has had a very psychopathic personality and it has included priests, nuns, maybe a few monks, and even laity. They could've been either of these. I never asked or knew much about the differences between traditional latin rite and novus ordo services. Calvinism's zealots are often similar in their rudeness, you can find them online and they delight in it. I have never experienced a more pathetic or phony example of evangelism than I have from the RCs. You can usually sense or see some dark air from them even before you ask about it. If I told them to stop because I've been having consistently rude experiences with them even when I tried to be respectful, they make things worse, and will say it's your fault because Satan only persecutes the true church. Thing is, they often did not know I was even Protestant before they began acting that way or having that devious look on their face, and it only got worse from there. I really get tired of people who use the martyrdom or persecution thing to justify that they're in the right church. It's actually more culturally acceptable to say you're a Catholic than a Scientologist. Even non-believers and the public at large hates the Church of Scientology. They say that Satan does not cast out Satan, but look! Satan is attacking the Church of Scientology. That does not mean that it is the true church. Same with Islam. Some of the religious groups involved who make that claim so people will feel sorry for them really are responsible for inflicting a lot of unnecessary hurt on their members. Thus, it really is their fault.

8. Theistgal

Theistgal New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Byzantine Catholic
    Bible Hoarder, maybe the real issue is that you are interacting with too many apologists (self-appointed or otherwise) and not with the "normal" everyday Christians amongst those denominations. Most Christians I know (myself included) don't like to evangelize in the way you're describing, because they feel (and rightly so IMHO) that it puts people off and makes them less likely to listen.

Far better to interact with people as individuals, make friends with them if they're friendly, wish them well and avoid them if they're not. And FWIW that applies to nonreligious people as well. Having *been* an atheist, as well as a pagan, I can testify I never wanted to push my belief/nonbelief on anyone. And now that I'm a Christian (albeit of the Roman Catholic variety, sorry) again, I feel the same way.

9. BibleHoarder

USA
    Religion:
    Christian (Protestant)
    I appreciate this. We've had several Roman Catholics on the forum like Aiden, Cameron and Edmundia and they are wonderful people who are in fact very much like yourself. I've been accused of being demon-possessed by both Catholics and Protestants because of my personality disorder which was able to be controlled after taking medicine. That allowed people from both sides to exploit me and say there was no hope for me, etc. Psalm 3 became very important to me as of late because I felt God had helped me tremendously when I thought there was no hope in those situations. But, I am trying to stay close to God and follow his commands to keep the peace wherever I go, since I made a lot of mistakes interacting with people from every background when I was growing up.