Fasting

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Dave, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Could someone point me towards some resources on Anglican fasting?
    How does it compare to Roman Catholic and Orthodox?
    How has it changed historically?

2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thomas Didymus, Incense and Toma like this.
  3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dave, Fasting (eating less food) has often been conflated with abstinence (not eating a certain type of food). Our blessed LORD Jesus commanded in Matthew 6:16-18, that when we fast, we must not make it obvious or boast about it. It was a clear injunction that all Christians make this sign of repentance, to their own edification.

The Orthodox fast for long periods in September, December, and during Lent. They are very strict, because they believe it is a form of penance meriting the forgiveness, attention, and grace of God (as Traditional Romanism used to teach before the 1960s).

For good old Anglicanism, fasting is not a form of penance, mortification to attack our nature or gain merit with God, but a way to express our repentance for past sins & worldliness by rejecting worldly pleasures and goods. It isn't to convince God of our sincerity, but to convince our selves not to be attached to petty things that perish and rot.

Fasting here means eating only the equivalent of one small meal, usually at the end of the day. Drinking lots of water is encouraged. :)

1662 Table:

[​IMG]

4. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Here is the table of days appointed for strict fasting in the Anglican Church in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, in a more legible modern font.

A TABLE OF THE VIGILS, FASTS, AND DAYS OF ABSTINENCE, TO BE OBSERVED IN THE YEAR.

The evens or Vigils before these days (with the date of the Vigil in brackets):

The Nativity of our Lord (Dec. 24)
    The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Feb. 1)
    The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (March 24)
    Easter-day (Holy Saturday)
    Ascension-Day (Wednesday before)
    Pentecost (Saturday before)
    S. Matthias (Feb. 23)
    S. John Baptist (June 23)
    S. Peter (June 28)
    S. James (July 24)
    S. Bartholomew (August 23)
    S. Matthew (Sept. 20)
    Ss. Simon & Jude (Oct. 27)
    S. Andrew (Nov. 29)
    S. Thomas (Dec. 20)
    All Saints (Oct. 31)

Note, if any of these Feast-days fall upon a Monday, then the Vigil or Fast-day shall be kept upon the Saturday, and not upon the Sunday next before it.

____

DAYS OF FASTING, OR ABSTINENCE

I. The Forty Days of Lent.

II. The Ember-days at the Four Seasons, being the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday after:

1. the First Sunday in Lent,
    2. the Feast of Pentecost
    3. September 14
    4. December 13

III. The Three Rogation-days, being the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday before Holy Thursday, or the Ascension of our Lord.

IV. All Fridays in the Year, except Christmas-day.

Thomas Didymus, luke and Incense like this.
  5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    All fridays of the year, WOW.

Thomas Didymus and Toma like this.
  6. Incense

Incense Active Member

Consular, you're fantastic to find things!!

Toma likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We actually have the every Friday rule in TEC too. From the 1979 BCP (p. 17):

4. Days of Special Devotion

The following days are observed by special acts of discipline and
    self-denial:

Ash Wednesday and the other weekdays of Lent and of Holy Week,
    except the feast of the Annunciation.

Good Friday and all other Fridays of the year, in commemoration of the
    Lord’s crucifixion, except for Fridays in the Christmas and Easter
    seasons, and any Feasts of our Lord which occur on a Friday.

Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are explicitly called Fasts. It is interesting that we still are called to "special acts of discipline and self-denial" on (nearly) all Fridays. I didn't realize that was in our current BCP until recently. It's definitely worthwhile, and it clearly is something that the Church wants us to do.

Regarding the optional days: as Consular pointed out, it is customary to fast on the Vigils, Rogation Days, and Ember Days. These are sometimes moved around or overridden by Major Feasts, so it's good to check the calendar and the rules (pp. 15-33) so that you don't deny yourself on a day designated for feasting!

Thomas Didymus and Toma like this.
  8. luke

luke Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Good to finally find some useful information on Fasting , i fasted today being good Friday and i have a habit of fasting randomly a few times per month where i also force myself to make time to read more scripture also. I started a when i first read "Matthew 6:16-18, that when we fast, we must not make it obvious or boast about it" , as it sounded like it is a MUST . Maybe its just my church but it doesn't seam to be something they mention very often so i just assumed it was something they didn't actively practise any more.
    Now i know WHEN i should be fasting i will work to a calendar :)

9. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Isaiah chapter one provides an interesting and thought provoking contrast to our traditions.:think:

Jeff

10. Joan Lucia-Treese

Joan Lucia-Treese Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episopalian
    We abstain from meat on the Ash Wednesday and the Fridays in Lent. I always fast on Good Friday. This year, I have fasted all of Holy Week. Nobody knows about it (except here!) and my husband didn't even notice. I find it quite healing.

Thomas Didymus and Symphorian like this.
  11. Mercy

Mercy Member

Yes, indeed!

Servos likes this.
  12. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Granted the sacrificial practice of the day was polluted, but Isaiah prophetically tells the nation of Israel to come directly to God, no mention of a Rabbi or sin offering. Earth shattering suggestions given the day and culture.

Jeff