Fairytales

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Scottish Knight, May 14, 2012.

1. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have to admit I'm a lover of fairytales! I think these stories contain more truth than perhaps people realise.

I watched a science programme a while ago which documented the amazing fact that trees send each other chemical signals, even warning trees of an insect danger which in turn causes the tree to put up it's defences. I thought this was amazing and couldn't help but think of the mythic stories of trees talking and their voices being carried in the wind and think how close to reality this really is!

And then there's the stories of animals talking to humans. I watched another interesting documentary of a man who spent time living with a pack of wolves, learning their body language and behaviour patterns and he was adopted into the pack. To be part of the pack he needed to bare his throat to the wolves who would then bite very gently so as not to hurt, but this showed a bnd of trust - each wolf does this to show it's faith in the others.
    Again I think back to the fairytale stories and realise it is possible to talk with animals if you take the time to learnt heir language

The fairytale world is full of magic and flying brooms and all sorts. Why don't we see flying airoplanes as just as magical and amazing? Really the world is full of magic! Just because we can explain it with scientific equations doesn't make it less magical or amazing!

A supernatural world full of imps and spirits? I think this medieval view is far closer to the biblical world view than the present secular stance prevalent in our cultures. This world is full of angels and demons, all in a God-drenched universe.

And the happily ever after that cynics hate - well, God has revealed to us the end, and it's certainly joyful! Good triumphing over the evil, and like the witches and giants of legend, Satan and his followers shall be destroyed! And Christ will come and marry His bride!

What do you think? Are fairytales realistic or fanciful at heart?

Adam Warlock and Anna Scott like this.
  2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Scottish,
    This is an interesting approach to the issue of the supernatural within Christianity and the idea of "Happily Ever After." Those, in Christ, who persevere to the end, will live Happily Ever After. For those of us who fall short, not so much. :(

Certainly, things developed through Science, would appear as "magic" to those in ages past. However, I think that is different from what takes place in the spiritual realm.

We see this battle in the spiritual realm revealed so vividly in the well known passage in Ephesians:

Ephesians 6:
    10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

So, we know this battle in the spiritual realm is very real, and the Church has always been mindful of this reality.

In The Lamb's Supper, The Mass as Heaven on Earth (page 43), Catholic author, Scott Hahn wrote the following about the Sign of the Cross:

". . . .Great saints also testify to the tremendous power of the sign. St. Cyprian of Carthage, in the third century, wrote, 'in the. . . Sign of the Cross is all virtue and power. . .In this Sign of the Cross is salvation for all who are marked on their foreheads' (a reference, by the way, to Revelation 7:3 and 14:1). A century later, St. Athanasius declared that 'by the Sign of the Cross all magic is stopped, and all witchcraft brought to nothing.' Satan is powerless before the cross of Jesus Christ. . . . ."

I had to smile when you spoke of animals talking to humans, because it reminded me of the story of Balaam and his donkey found in Numbers Chapter 22: 28 Then the Lord (U)opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a fool of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you.” 30 And the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey, on which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Is it my habit to treat you this way?” And he said, “No.”

Numbers Chapter 22 is full of the supernatural---complete with curses, divination, a disagreement between God and Balaam, an angel with a drawn sword, and---a talking donkey. It has it all! lol.

There is definitely a "supernatural world." However, I wouldn't equate this with "fairy tales" or "fanciful at heart." The spiritual realm is as real as the physical realm. Sometimes, we are given a glimpse of what exists along side us.

Peace,
    Anna

Scottish Knight likes this.
  3. Anna Scott

I''m really hoping others will weigh in on this thread. :)

Anna

4. Scottish Knight

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes, so do I! Sorry, I meant to reply earlier - thanks for your post

I thought it was interesting Athanasius' comment there "by the sign of the cross all magic is stopped and all witchcraft brought to nothing"

Reminds me of another passage in his "incarnation" . where he speaks about the pagan oracles which used to utter pagan prohpecies now silent after Christ's victory - if I can find the passage I'll insert it here later. I wonder if there was really a sudden silencing of the oracles soon after the resurrection, after the demons recieved such a fatal blow

Yes, I think you're right, the Bible reminds us of the true spiritual realities surrounding us, and is the only book to give us an infallible view of the reality of the world we live in. I suppose fairytales are like paintings - they don't fully present a real picture of reality but highlights some real aspects of life, highlighting these points and painting them in bright bold colours.

I read the story of Cinderella recently (the brothers Grimm version) and I was struck at how the idea of God was woven into it,

This is from the opening sentence:

"The wife of a rich man fell sick, and as she felt that her end was drawing near, she called her only daughter to her bedside and said, "Dear child, be good and pious, and then the good God will always protect thee, and I will look down on thee from heaven and be near thee." Thereupon she closed her eyes and departed. Every day the maiden went out to her mother's grave, and wept, and she remained pious and good

(Brothers Grimm)

I think fairytales have an apolegetic value as they can awaken the imagination to realise it's hunger for something more than a materialistic world

Anna Scott likes this.
  5. Anna Scott

This really gave me a new respect for making the Sign of the Cross. It is a visual demonstration to the spiritual realm of what Christ accomplished on the cross. Indeed, through Christ all magic is stopped and all witchcraft brought to nothing. No evil can withstand that which Christ accomplished.

Yes, please let me know if you find this passage. I'd love to read it.

Ironically, many Christians avoid issues related to the spiritual realm. Not sure why, exactly.

6. Scottish Knight

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    , Enjoy your holiday! Going anywhere nice?